...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pretty good week so far, but why do I do this to myself?

Why? Why did I have to look at Oak Meadow? Maybe because during my meeting with Elf's IST yesterday, I noticed it sitting on the shelf? Maybe because I was thinking of Fairy starting kindergarten in the fall? Maybe because I like to doubt whatever I'm doing now? Aaaarrrggghhh. All I know is that now I want to actually look through the materials at the charter school, and see what Oak Meadow is really about, although looking at the summaries on their website, I'd have to put the kids ahead, or tweak things somewhat substantially (i.e. second grade is all about animal studies for science, and we just did those this year, so I don't know how excited Elf would be). I also am always tempted by AmblesideOnline (which actually works well with classical education). I need to just stop tormenting myself (and anyone who reads this) - obviously what we're doing now works, at least to some degree! Thank you, I just need to get some of that inner angst out!

Anyhow, back to actual life. We have finished ETC 2! Today I'm going to sit down with Elf and look over both 2 1/2 and 3, to decide which we want to move into next. We also decided, mutual consensus, to extend our Egypt studies a while longer, since Elf is enjoying them so much. I did decide to set aside SOTW for now, and just use all the other books we have piling up! We haven't gotten very far with the tomb project, and I am thinking it might be a little much for a 1st grader (maybe in 6th grade?), so we may just do a mummy doll and sarcophagus instead. Elf also got a gift from his best buddy A at school yesterday. A missed him while in Hawaii last week and so brought him a gift, which was sweet. I really need to set up a playdate for them.

I got a chance to sit in on Elf's new Wednesday afternoon music classes, and I really like what I saw (as did Fairy). The mom teaching the class was teaching them note value, rhythym, singing, and more. Fairy didn't want to participate, but she kept edging closer and closer to the other kids. She and I spent the time while Elf was in Spanish at the library, which was nice since we don't get a lot of time together with just the two of us. We read about 8 books, some of them better than others. My two favorites were Bebe Goes Shopping, so Fairy got in her Spanish lesson too ;), and a really gorgeous one called Good Night, Fairies. I need to start thinking of good birthday gifts, since my "baby" will be FIVE next month.

I had my first biology test yesterday. I think it went really well, but keep your fingers crossed for me! This Saturday I'm going to an information program regarding the college program I hope to enter in the fall. Should be interesting!

2 comments:

  1. LOL, yes you need to stop torturing yourself! There will always be something better and more interesting out there. I think you are just more tempted to keep switching because it's all free to you. I keep seeing new stuff but then go, "too expensive!" and stick with what I have. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL I totally know how you feel.

    I'm switching Miguel's curriculum for the upcoming school year. We've been doing a mix of my cobbled-together stuff, but I found a program that works exactly with what I want. It has tons of hands-on projects, room for our own stuff, Catholic faith formation, etc. So, I'm switching curriculum, too. Sigh. But, he's only a year into official school, so I figure we can do that. : ) (The curriculum will also be very loosely used with Essie, who is my outside the box gal.)

    I've had to do a lot of switching with Essie because she's just really, really, really hard to figure out, educationally-speaking. At 7,she has had lots of forms of learning, but I think we finally found the right style for her. (unit studies) And Miguel is happy with anything, just about. : )

    But I think I'm done switching. I can't switch every year!

    But switch if you see a definite benefit to it and can see that it'd work much, much, much better than what you have. If it's only a slight "a little better", then I wouldn't bother.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)