...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, May 2, 2008

Not much to report...

which is why I haven't been blogging. We've been plugging away with lessons. Yesterday we read a story called "The Golden Key". Fairy drew the golden key (and letter E) in her blank book, and I got Elf to write two sentences without complaint! We read some more about Ancient China, colored pictures, and looked at last month's National Geographic, which happened to focus on China and had great pictures. We also did some math review - Fairy reviewed the numbers 0 through 6 and Elf worked on subtracting two's. Elf also read out loud to his dad, and his fluency is really coming along. I'm letting him read the same handful of books over and over to help him read smoothly. (By the way, in regards to my summer school post, it isn't the charter school that's pushing me to have him reading better - it's me that wants him more comfortable with reading.) In the world of science, our sunflowers, planted in empty egg cartons, are really growing nicely, and we hope to transplant them to the yard soon.

So, we are wrapping up our unit on Ancient China, and next week we move on to Ancient Greece. I've already got a couple of activity books, so this should be fun. I tried reading aloud from SOTW in the last couple of weeks again, and for some reason the kids were much more interested in it, so we're giving it another try.

Let's see... other news... oh, I am a complete clutz and managed to slip, fall, and knock myself out momentarily in the shower/tub yesterday morning! M came home from work to watch the kids while I spent much of the day on the couch, including homeschooling time. I have a lovely lump on my head, some very colorful bruises, and a strained arm, but am doing much better today. M did go out and bought those non-slip decals to put in the tub, which he's doing this evening. It also gave me the opportunity to review emergency procedures (dialing 9-1-1) with the kids, which thankfully didn't need to be done yesterday, but I figure it's good for them to know.

And I have birthday planning to do, as my boy will be SEVEN in just a few weeks! Plus, we have a science fair at the charter school in a couple of weeks, and the kids will be performing with their music class!

1 comment:

  1. Ouch!! I hope your head is feeling better!

    I'm glad the school isn't pushing you. I guess what I meant is that *I* would feel an unspoken pressure being in a school with all the "grade level" stuff staring me in the face and the other kids right there to compare to. I succumb to peer pressure easily. ;)

    Happy almost birthday to Cyrus! We're having a (very) little shindig at the park next Friday for Greyson's big #2. Hope you can make it. :)

    Keep resting that head of yours and hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)