...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Overhaulin'...

I have decided that is the theme for my summer! The shelves are up in the garage-turned-play-&-school-room, but there are still boxes and miscellaneous stuff everywhere. I want to put up a big bulletin board, some posters, a few more (book) shelves, and get it ready for fall! I also hope to finally paint my kitchen, dining area, living room, the kids' room (once a lot of stuff is moved out to the playroom) and my bedroom over the summer. Lots of stuff to keep me busy.

And between then and now, we are down to our last few weeks of homeschooling. I have only a handful of classes left myself, with finals next week. Thankfully, both my remaining finals are on Monday, and Elf's birthday next Wednesday will be free and clear. Tomorrow night we have the science fair, so we've been busily prepping for that. Saturday I need to go out shopping for my little man's big day (yikes!). Never a slow moment around here.

Other than that all is as always. I keep busy schooling the kids and trying to keep up on my own homework. We are studying Ancient Greece right now, and the kids are really enjoying it. I started by reading them the chapter on the Minoans from SOTW, and they spent the evening practicing to be bull jumpers. They love some of the legends, and are excited to hear more. I really love it when something comes up that they enjoy so much! I need to actually reserve some books at the library and then carve out the time to get there. Thankfully, I have some good "extra" reading on hand already. So, we'll finish up the school year with the Greeks, and in the fall we'll go through the Romans (maybe read some stories to them over the summer) and into the Middle Ages. My goal is to hit early exploration by fall of the next year. And then our studies will actually flow very nicely into current California history curriculum standards, which by the way are up for review this month, and will likely be changing to represent more of a broad world view than being focused as much on the U.S. as they are now. Once in a while there's something on the news that interests me!

And now I must run off to algebra...

2 comments:

  1. I apologize now if there are NO books on Ancient Greece left in the library. I think I have them all and I keep renewing them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Overhauling" is a great title to this post. Wow, you are busy.

    And, uhm, when it's time for my kids to learn algebra, can I send them up to your place? : )

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)