...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

SEVEN...

Yes, my boy is SEVEN. Last night I said my last good night to my six-year old, and today my first good morning to a seven year old. I'm not sure I am ready for him to be this old, but I guess I don't get a choice in it. We had a great birthday today. Started off with a couple of gifts, then a lovely breakfast that involved waffles, then we took off to Spanish and music class, along with a batch of vegan vanilla cupcakes (one of the kids' classmates is vegan and I really didn't want to leave her out). I ran errands while the kids were in class, but still made it back in time for music, which is always fun to listen to, and to watch!

Home, I cooked a nice dinner, cleaned house, M got home so more presents, I frosted a race car cake, then entertained relatives, who came bearing loads of super-cool Legos. So now, my kitchen is a disaster zone (I think the tornado Jenny's dh is worried about came right through my house); the kids are all wound up; Fairy is still singing "Happy Birthday (cha cha cha)"; Elf is building something, carefully following the "constructions"; and I feel about ready to just sleep where I am.

It has been interesting lately, watching Elf entering a new stage of his childhood. He's getting more and more independent, which I do love, but at the same time he's so obviously not my baby anymore. It is all the little things - making his own bed because he wants to, helping construct our garden without complaint, reading to himself at bedtime, wanting to push the cart at the grocery store (and write the grocery list for me), brushing his hair in the mornings... while he still needs my guidance and assistance, he does so much more on his own. But, I can still hold him in my lap for a story!

On another note, I am DONE with school for the semester. Yaaaaaaayyyyy! And now a summer off, though I still have work, which I am angry with at the moment. You'd think that after nearly a year of me telling them I am unavailable on Saturdays they'd get it, but apparently not. Aaaarggggghhhhh...

Anyhow, I've got to go wrestle cake-filled children into bed.

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, CYRUS!!!!!!

    Wow, seven. I know exactly how you feel - I think. How did they get so old? I was just reminiscing with someone the other day about first and second birthday parties. About the day you brought that first child home from the hospital and how very, very, very much your life has changed since then. I am a completely different person than I was seven years ago. And my definition of "hard work" has also changed very much, lol. You?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, happy birthday, Cyrus!

    I know what you mean. Urban Kid 1 loves to look at baby pictures of herself. I can only barely cope with how much she's grown and learned.

    Hope he had a fun day!!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)