...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Good start to the week....

Yesterday, I took Elf off to class, while Fairy slept in (poor baby is fighting a cold). Ran some errands, came home, picked Fairy up, and got back to the charter school just in time for free play outside, which Fairy loves to be a part of. Then, a stop at Trader Joe's, where the kids acted so-so, and then home, where we finally hung a wreath on our front door. They played for an hour, and then we sat down for lunch - yummy split-pea soup, perfect on a cold, almost rainy day - and finally, after another hour or so of play, we sat down to lessons.

Over the weekend, we got a new dining table, so I at last have my homeschool area in the family room, and the kids couldn't wait to sit down! I put on some music in the background (classical Christmas stuff). We started with calendar work: Fairy has her new color pattern for the month memorized, red green green, and Elf's IST gave me a bunch of weather symbols he can use in filling out his weather chart, which he thought was a lot of fun. Then, on to memorization - a review of the days of the week, and then the poem "Hey diddle diddle, the cat & the fiddle...". I think next week's poem will have to be more challenging, because they both got this one down fast! Some phonics work, where Elf made this week's words with his little letter cards, and Fairy worked on alphabet printouts from Enchanted Learning, and then a new subject. GRAMMAR! Finally, we got started with this, doing an intro to nouns from Teaching Treasures. Afterwards, the kids spent the whole evening naming things and seeing if they were nouns, so I think they got it, but I have a review planned for later in the week anyway. I also read them the Poco a poco story again, so we can restart musical studies. Smoothest day of homeschooling we've had in a while. A light day - no math, etc. - but I figure with Elf in an hour and a half class in the morning, a heavy schedule at home would be too much. He was really funny, scolding his letter cards when he misspelled one word, telling them they were out of order and had better get it straight, fast.

After all this, we drove to my MIL's house. My SUV is on her last wheels, so to speak, and is running very poorly, leaving me with an imminent sense of doom. I know I'll get stranded somewhere! But, MIL has an extra vehicle, so she's letting me borrow that until I can figure out how to afford a new (used) car. It's a truck, which is really not me, but it's fairly new, runs well, has enough room for my family with the extended cab... now if I can just figure out how to get rid of all the awful bumper stickers my step-father-in-law had put on it!

1 comment:

  1. First off, I can't imagine where you would put a school table in your living room... unless you mean that add-on room in the back? Hmmm, you're just going to have to post some pictures.

    Secondly, it sounds likeouy had a great day of school! That Teacher Treasures site was interesting. It would definitely put a whole new slant on the world if you used it for social studies and science too (did you notice it was Australian?). I didn't download any of the printables but I was wondering if the British spelling is going to be an issue on them. Great collection of stuff there though! Where else can you find worksheets on the wombat!?!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)