...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Yaaay! Done with...

my classes for the semester, as I just submitted my final essay to my online child development class. I also checked the gradebook (online) to make sure all my assignments were in and found this message from my professor - "G...., thank you for sharing your first hand experiences and knowledge of home schooling. You truly educated your fellow classmates on home schooling and dispelled many misconceptions... The homeschooling discussion that took place on the message board really, I feel, changed people's preconceived notions about home schooling." Sweet! Changing people's misconceptions was the entire reason I wrote that essay.

Wow, I'm 35 now. Can't say it's much different than 34! Today's plans - a late breakfast, since it's 10 and the kids are still asleep (we stayed up really late last night watching Christmas movies). A little homeschooling - calendar work, math, phonics, human anatomy. I was going to take the kids to homeschool ice skating, but it starts in 15 minutes, so we'll save that for another time. M wants to take me out later to pick out my own gift, and then my closest friend is coming over for dinner. My mom also offered to make a special dinner for me tomorrow, so I have to figure out what to ask her to make! It's hard because she's an awesome cook, and I really love a number of her dishes. Hmmmm, maybe we'll finish decorating our tree today. I did get a lovely early present from Elf yesterday - all the art I've been helping with on Wednesdays got made into a 2008 calendar of birds, and he gave me his, after wrapping it himself, very carefully. He was practically dancing with excitement when I was unwrapping it. I have to say I think it qualifies as the best gift ever, partly because I love his artwork and partly because there was such joy in giving it.

Just noticed this link on another blog - win a $50 certificate at Homeschool eStore, so here are my answers!

1. How many children do you have / homeschool? 2. One is in first grade and the other is pre-K
2. How long have you been homeschooling? Since my oldest was born! Technically for about a year and a half.
3. Have they always been homeschooled, or did they ever go to public/private school? Always homeschooled. We planned on it before even concieving our oldest.
4. Do you plan on homeschooling until graduation? Yes. No doubt about it!
5. Do you belong to a co-op? No, but we "belong" to a charter school that functions much like a co-op.
6. Do you school all year long, or use some other schedule? We basically follow a traditional school year schedule (that of the charter school), more or less. It's fun because we have an annual "not Back to School" celebration day in the fall, and the kids get the bliss of long summers of freedom (unschooling), during which they pursue their own interests.
7. Do you use textbooks only, or do you like to supplement with other materials? We supplement. I think our only textbooky textbook is science. We do use some workbooks, a lot of hands-on learning, lots of coloring/art, lots of reading.
8. Are field trips included in your school plans, or are they just family time? Both. I do plan some field trips (none lately though, oops), but we also do fun things just for family time that I could count as field trips.
9. Do you and your kids do crafty stuff together for school time? Yes, but not enough of it recently! My kids both do really well with a hands-on approach, so crafty projects work out well for us.
10. Would you consider everyday household life stuff ‘home ec’? Definately. I count their assistance with grocery shopping, preparing food, and much more as "home ec". It's a part of living, and I think they do need the skills they develop this way.
11. Do you have any advice for new homeschoolers? Go with what feels right for you and works well for your children. Don't think you need to buy a homeschool-in-a-box, or follow someone's advice to the letter. Feel free to tweak things so that they are right for you. After all, homeschooling is all about following your own path!
12. Do you have advice for homeschoolers with little ones under foot? Have things ready for them, from coloring pages, to a box of beads/blocks/trinkets. My daughter (pre-K) will play happily for hours with math manipulatives. If they want to be part of the homeschooling process, indulge them with some simple work, but don't get stressed over whether or not they complete it.

2 comments:

  1. WTG on changing the world!! That's so cool that even your teacher acknowledged that you changed some minds. Good for you. :)

    And Happy Birthday! Awwww to the gift from Cyrus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!! I hope it was a good one. Also congrats on being donw with classes for now. Enjoy the break!
    Mercedes

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)