...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, December 10, 2007

Hmmmm....

I had a slightly lunatic thought tonight (which I will admit was inspired in part by a post written by Pixilated Mum)... what if I go through all the chapters in SOTW, and divide it into unit studies? I know, I know - it sounds a bit off considering the whole point of the book is chronological history, but then my kids seem to do really well with unit studies, and it would be easy enough to do. A unit on each ancient region: Egypt, China, India, the Americas, Mesopotamia, Greece and Rome. Maybe a unit on the Hebrews? Each unit's length would depend on the subject, i.e. Egypt would be a lot longer than the Americas.

Anyhow, today was a pretty normal day. After Elf's class, we played, and had lunch, then eventually settled in for lessons. We actually seem to have a pattern to our days now! First calendar work (Saxon Math Meeting books), then memory work, then math, followed by phonics, and finally a variety of other subjects (history, geography, science, handwriting, music, etc.). So, Elf worked on measurements while Fairy worked on finding, counting and coloring "hidden" sea creatures, then we moved on to phonics, only Fairy chose to work on handwriting instead. Elf also read another of his leveled readers aloud, and actually read it fairly fluently.

That was it, and then I had to rush off to algebra myself. We started late, so we didn't get to the "extras" today, but there's always tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. OK, so the term "lunatic" and "Pixilated Mum" were in the same sentence .... Hmmm. ROFL

    Hey, it works for you, then awesome. I know all that jumping around was hard for us, and that dividing it up in units made it so much friendlier ... I guess I wrote all those thoughts in the post, though. ;-)

    Have a lovely day, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lunatic, pixilated mum... yep, sounds about right. ;)

    But seriously, I think I have something from the wtm boards way back when that has sotw divided geographically. I'll look for it and email it to you. I saved it just in case.

    The jumping around actually works for us because we're going at things so slowly that they tend to be quite bored with a subject by the time we move on, lol. Cam is so *done* with China by now, but I think I still have a couple more books that I wanted to read!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)