...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, June 27, 2008

Blue skies ahead?

We haven't seen the actual sky in about a week now, as the California wildfires continue to burn out of control. My poor children have been cooped up inside, whereas before all the smoke, they were practically living in the back yard! I go outside long enough each day to water our jungle of a vegetable garden, and that's about it. M and the Elf postphoned their "manly" camping trip a month. My kids wish each night at bedtime that the fires will be put out soon, so that "people are safe and don't all lose their houses." The most disturbing thing so far was that M had his first asthma attack in 20 years on Wednesday. I haven't witnessed an asthma attack since my brother was very little, so it was kind of scary. Thankfully his old inhaler (from about 2 years agao when he had tightness when breathing) still had some medication in it. Local hospitals and doctors are urging people to only come in for extreme emergencies as there is a minimum 2-3 hour wait most places here due to the number of people showing up with breathing problems.

Other than the frustration of having two very active kids cooped up in an overly warm house (since we're reluctant to open windows) each day, things are going well enough. The Elf has been playing math games endlessly, between showings of Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium. The Fairy draws, cuts up paper, and plays with her many babies. We've just about finished James & the Giant Peach and so are deliberating what to read next. I've had the Elf do a little reading aloud most days to build fluency. His favorite read is Green Eggs & Ham. We've played checkers, Sorry, and a lot of Go Fish.

I thought I had something else I wanted to blog about, but I can't remember what it was!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! It's like when it's sub-zero here and we're stuck inside. Well, ok, except for the houses in peril part. And the breathing part. And, oh heck, maybe it's not all that similar. But I hope that things improve SOON out there for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)