...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hmmm, what do YOU think?

I have two ideas for day-to-day scheduling for this fall, and really can't make up my mind, though with our academic year starting in another week and a half, I had better figure it out! So, here are my two current options - what do you think?

Version 1

Version 2

Other than that, I attended the first session of my new college program today, and it seemed to have gone quite well. I met some interesting people, noting very happily that I am not the oldest person in the class; had an interesting class discussion about The Stranger by Camus (which many of us disliked and were somewhat confused by); and got all set up for the next few weeks until our next class meeting.

And this week the Elf started swimming! Meaning that he doggy-paddled about 6 feet. I am very proud of him, figuring this out mostly on his own, and am glad in retrospect that I did not make him take swimming lessons this summer.

On a sadder note, my vacation is over as of tomorrow and I will be back to work. I did not accomplish all my goals, as the garage has been too hot for comfort, so I think we'll start off our academic year in the family room. I did get much of the rest of the house cleaned up, and it's stayed nice for 3 days now - a record here! However, I will still have time for further organization, as I got my requested schedule at work, and will only be there four evenings a week for 6 hours at a time!

3 comments:

  1. I tend to do more of the block scheduling with some things,like doing a big chunk of science once a week vs. daily, spelling weekly, art weekly, etc. But some I do every day. I think that if my kids were all 4th grade and younger, I'd tend to do a lot more blocking and less daily work. Does that make sense? I stumble on the word "block" because around here that indicates block scheduling in schools, which I abhor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steal away!! That's what it's there for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two cents? I like version 1 better. A little each day is good for reinforcement.

    For things like art or music, a block is good. But for stuff that the child needs to truly master over time, little bits every day seems to work nicely. Or at least for us.

    My two cents.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)