...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, October 17, 2011

Scientific musings....

I am just not thrilled with our science right now. Mostly in that it isn't happening. It isn't happening because once again, I just can't make up my mind!

Options I am considering:
1. Unit studies, starting with anatomy
2. Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding
3. Continuing with The Story Book of Science

Each of these has its pros and cons. Option 1 is something my kids are really interested in, so getting them to do it wouldn't be hard. And I have the materials on hand. But, I want them to understand and have some familiarity with many fields of science, not just one. Of course, we could and would study another field after this one, but then it would take quite some time (years?) to cover the various disciplines. Option 2 covers many different interwoven threads. Cons? It takes some time to set up, as I need supplemental materials due to different learning levels, and making sure I have everything on hand. On the other hand, I love the interconnectedness of it, the fact that the program assumes kids can learn some pretty intense concepts, and the fact that if we switched to this program, with the three eBooks I now own, we'd be covered for the next 3-4 years. Option 3 is, well, easy. I read, they narrate, we occasionally add in other books.

Hmmmm... I am finally happy with everything else we are doing. We are doing well with history; loving Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons for language arts; Cassia's supplementary phonics work is going really, really well; and math is great... it is just the d@rn science that is throwing me for a loop! We are kind of doing nature studies, but that doesn't feel quite meaty enough for me... or the kids. They do love it, but they want more!

What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. For me, with extra subjects like science I go the easy route or we just never get to it no matter how well intentioned I am. I like the ideas of many curriculum but the reality/time just doesn't always add up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a report or lapbook on their favorite animal or plant? By the way, I'm so happy for you that everything else is working out so well! :-)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)