...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Trying again...

While we sprinkle in lots of science here and there, we aren't following anything systematic. Then I was cleaning out my computer files, and came across my e-book copies of Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding I and II, which then led me to my meticulously crafted flow chart for said books, complete with supplemental book and video listings.

Symbolically speaking, since none of this is actually in print on actual paper, I dusted off those plans, put a few things on hold at the library, and am gearing up to give it a try. We'll go with level 1 at least to begin with, since I want to make sure the kids have a very good understanding of the basics before we move on to the complexities of level 2. Yes, I realize book 1 is labeled "K-2", but it is very meaty... and adding in readings from the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia will definitely get it up to Cyrus's level. For Cassia, we'll stick to library books, many from the wonderful Let's Read and Find Out Science series, some others. And for videos, we largely depend on Bill Nye the Science Guy.

My rough plan is to do the reading, watch the video, and do a hands-on project which the kids will then log in their science notebooks through art and/or words. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you bring in so many different resources for your kids! Bravo, mom! I feel so boring.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)