...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, May 11, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday (i.e. a weekly report of sorts)...


Trying something new today, rather than my more standard weekly report.

1.
Got informed today that yes, I will get a student grant for for Master's program. Phew! I really dislike the idea of any more debt (known as student loans), so this was wonderful news. Now I just need to get a head start on my immense reading list!

2.
We're very much enjoying a plethora of books this week...



3.
 Our garden is growing by leaps and bounds. I added another three heirloom tomato plants, and some more squash. We're anticipating a bountiful harvest! All the outdoor time is good for us, mentally and physically. In the front yard, my lavender plants are all in bloom, my dahlias are coming up, and I'm finally seeing honey bees everywhere - they seem late this year.

4.
After a lot of thought, and discussion, we have decided that if circumstances (money) permit, we're going to go back to Teaching Textbooks for math. I want to make sure I am not leaving gaps in math anywhere, and this is a program both kids like. I'm trying very hard to streamline and simplify for next fall, so that we have time for all the fun things, and still a solid education.

5.
Geometry is a big hit around here! I hated it in high school, was afraid of it actually, so it is important to me that my children not be frightened of it too. They spent maybe an hour on Tuesday just sketching geometry in nature. The book String, Straightedge & Shadow is fascinating - I can't recommend it enough!

6.
Cassia continues to adore roller derby! And it is such good exercise for her! She's going to skate in her first official bout in a few weeks, and is very excited.

In reading, she's making some good progress. I am loving the combination of Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways, and in fact am coming to realize that part of the problem may have been tracking issues. Both these books build tracking skills incrementally, and her reading is getting smoother and more fluid with all this practice.

7.
In other news, I have passed the 40 pound mark in my weight loss journey! While I have had a few ups and downs, overall my eating has really improved, and I feel so much better.  Budget-wise, we're doing well. M got a raise (yaaaay!), and we're cautious about spending. Household-wise, I really need to get back on top of all the daily housework. It is not looking good right now, and when the house is messy, we're grumpier, and get less done in general.

Hope you all had a good week! Check out more 7 Quick Takes Fridays here, and more weekly reports here.

2 comments:

  1. I love all your book selections!
    You reminded me that we also have 'String, Straight Edge & Shadow'.
    I need to get this out, it will really complement our Archimedes study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - way to go on the weight loss! That's hard work. Really. I've been working on it for a year and not much has budged.

    Teaching Textbooks is the one curriculum that we are willing to spend the big bucks on consistently - it's such a great program!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)