...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Weekly Report... This Was a Busy Week!

It really was a busy week!

 Sunday
We started off with a trip to the San Francisco Opera, to watch The Magic Flute, which was amazing!



Monday 
We headed off to the beach to celebrate a friend's 11th birthday! The weather was perfect--warm and sunny, no clouds, a little wind...




I got to take a long walk down the beach while they played. They buried each other, splashed a little in the very mild surf, ate delicious pasta salad, and had a very good time! And just in the name of all honesty, there was an argument that involved flying sand and a plastic bucket. That almost resulted in us simply packing up and leaving, but instead we managed to calm down and talk it through.


Tuesday
A comparatively relaxed day! We hung out and watched Brady Bunch reruns, the kids played in the pool and ate popsicles. I started reading The Hunger Games to myself; more of The Children of Green Knowe, Treasure Island, and Just So Stories to the kids.


Wednesday
Wednesday started out early, with a trip to Cal Skate for our end-of-the-year homeschool party! We had a blast! M was unfortunately at work, but the kids and I skated to near exhaustion. We elected our new board for the upcoming year, donated a huge bag of books to the free curriculum table (and I only brought 3 new books home), played "Simon Says Red Light Green Light"(on skates), and all the kids raced.

After that, we stopped for lunch with friends, which was lovely, and were talked into rejoining our homeschool 4H this fall.

We wrapped up the day with swimming at home, watching the chickens, and some more reading (see Tuesday above). The kids were wiped out and went to bed with no problem!


Thursday
Another calm day. I worked an extra hour (supplemental pay), then had a lovely treat at my mom's house with blackberries, mango, and chocolate. We came home and just hung out together... there was Wii bowling, The Addams Family movie (first one), art, stories, and delicious shrimp quesadillas for dinner!

I also started my training for the upcoming Mudman challenge! Our whole family is going to participate, so we're all going to be "in training". Thankfully I've got a whole gym setup in the garage... a Bowflex, a treadmill, free weights, and one of those big rubber balls for crunches and so forth. Still recovering from that workout... We're really excited about this challenge! The kids will be doing a non-competitive 1 mile track; M and I will be doing the (also non-competitive) 3 and a half mile track. I've lost 46 pounds so far, and feel so much better that I think I can get ready for this challenge in 3 months!


Friday
Park day! We saw tons of moths everywhere, as all the California Oak Moths are hatching. We got to see friends, relax in the shade (it is hot here these days), the kids played water balloon toss, and more! A lovely, relaxing afternoon.

I am hoping next week will be a little calmer. This week was a lot of fun, but a bit tiring! I have two weeks of work left, so we'll have limited field trips for at least that amount of time. I do want to start actually focusing on Cassia's phonics work again--I printed out some new alphabet cards for work in Easy Lessons for Teaching Word Families, to use in conjunction with Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways.


On Another Note
My plans for July, since I'll be at home, are home and homeschool focused: I want to finish getting through all the clutter in the house, and reorganize a lot. In homeschooling, I want to finish deciding on what we'll be using, and come up with a sort of syllabus for each child--I'm thinking sort of along the lines of Oak Meadow's approach. You can see a sample of their approach here (pdf). If not a syllabus, then at least a general plan of what I would like them accomplish in language arts and math. Science and history are a bit more flexible!

Hope you all had a good week! Check out more weekly wrap-ups over at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:50 PM

    Wow! Y'all were busy! Sounds like a great week though:)

    Way to go on your training! That takes a lot if self-discipline.

    Love the Emerson quote too.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)