...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Progress...

If you have read my blog for a while, you will know that The Girl has struggled with reading. A great part of it seems to have been simply a lack of interest, other parts... well, we suspect some sort of disorder with her, but have never had her evaluated for various reasons.

Anyhow, I digress. She's been working in MCP Plaid Phonics a bit this year (alongside daily work in Reading Pathways), but yesterday pulled out an Explode the Code book instead. Each lesson has a page where the student has to read two sentences and choose the best sentence for the little picture. I think there are about 7 or 8 of these on the page. She got to that page, and asked me, for the first time ever, if she could read them to herself, and then have me check her answers. Of course I said yes, and off she went to curl up on the couch. 15 minutes later, she was back, book in hand. She waited while I skimmed the page... and, you know what?

SHE DID IT!!!! She accurately read the entire page and chose the correct answers, which she then proceeded to read aloud to me!!!


She has never wanted to read to herself before. And she was so thrilled she did it right that she finished off the entire lesson, "just for fun and because I'm getting better at reading, Mommy."

3 comments:

  1. Go Cassia!!! So happy for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, wonderful--I am sure you are beaming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:29 PM

    Great job, Cassia!

    When reading clicked for my son, he was so nonchalant about it. He just started reading everything around him, much to my surprise.

    It's so cool when they discover that it's actually fun!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)