...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday Stuff...

1. We're doing a two week trial for The Boy on going gluten-free. The poor kid has had recurring stomach pain and digestive issues for about 4-5 years now. He was placed on an ulcer med and antibiotics for it at separate times, as well as digestive enzymes and probiotics, all with no real improvement, so I am really hoping this works. I've been reading What's Eating Your Child?, and it is a very helpful book for pinpointing possible issues. I'm also increasing his daily intake of essential fatty acids and DHA. Thankfully, we have a network of friends who are gluten-free, so I'm getting tons of helpful suggestions. I'm doing it with him as well, and M and The Girl will be mostly doing it (since I'm the head cook here!)

2. Lots of cooking going on today. I'm making a big pot of turkey-veggie-red-bean chili, garbanzos are cooking away in the crockpot for homemade hummus, and I'm making this delicious soup (I add cumin, and blend ALL of it to a smooth, velvety texture)...


3. Grading papers and cleaning house today too. I need to catch up on laundry. Thankfully, The Girl has developed a [strange] passion for folding clean laundry, so I will definitely be enlisting her services! We don't do allowances, but I do pay the kids for small jobs that go above and beyond their general chores.

4. Homeschooling today too. On the agenda: Builders of the Old World; The Story of Science; some Book of Centuries work; math; art; geography; and music. Hoping to get to an actual art project today, while listening to George Gershwin's work. Still deciding which book to read next... The Dragon in the Cliff, The Swiss Family Robinson, or The Hobbit.

5. My kids have been on an old cartoons kick lately, everything from Cartoons That Time Forgot to classic Looney Tunes. I'm loving it! Takes me right back to my childhood.

Have a good Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. The soup looks fantastic! I put it on my Pinterest board and will try it next week!
    Hope the gluten-free makes a difference!
    :)
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He was placed on an ulcer med and antibiotics for it at separate times, as well as digestive enzymes and probiotics, all with no real improvement, so I am really hoping this works."

    Oh really? I'am a probiotics user and it works with me a lot.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)