...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday Musings... Feels Like Fall...

HAPPY MONDAY!!!
It finally really feels like fall around here, although the afternoons are still a little hot for my liking at this time of year. Still, 70's and lower 80's are much better than the 90's up to low 100's of a week or so ago!

On the agenda this week:

~ History: again, both Builders of the Old World and The Rainbow Book of American History, plus work in the Books of Centuries. I think at the end of the year, or whenever we get through both books, I might bind their Books along these lines, having the kids make their own covers out of a heavy card stock. I think they would make lovely keepsakes!

~ Reading: More of The Graveyard Book to be read, and I think for our spooky tale of the week, we'll read Edgar Allen Poe's Telltale Heart. Then watch The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror, since there is a bit where Lisa has her own experience with a telltale heart! I need to work on reading The Merchant of Venice myself!

~ Art: We're starting some art projects that will be scanned and printed (full color) for Christmas gifts to all the relatives, from the kids--calendars! I figure these will be relatively easy to put together, everyone uses calendars, and they will enjoy the kids' artwork. I am estimating about 8-10 weeks of art projects total to get this done, then we'll choose the best 6 from each kid, and put it all together!

~ The Basics: Of course we'll be working on these. I am going to work on drilling The Boy orally on his spelling words, at least a couple of times over the week. I am ordering the next Explode the Code book for The Girl, since I think she's ready to move up a bit. We'll do some Math Mammoth, Life of Fred, and possibly Teaching Textbooks. I also have the second Sir Cumference book for a read aloud this week.

~ Other: Despite the juggling of holds, returns, etc., I find I am missing the books from A Picture Perfect Childhood in our Afternoon Basket! I think I may start adding some in again. We enjoyed reading about different people on their birthdays, events on their anniversaries, and so forth.


And some other bits and pieces:

~ I found that while The Boy does not care at all for ordinary oatmeal, he loves baked oatmeal! If you like pumpkin (which we do!), you have to try this delicious recipe for Pumpkin and Caramelized Banana Baked Oatmeal! [Note: I did add walnuts to it, and used vanilla extract in the place of maple.] Speaking of The Boy, his stomach pain is improving with the gluten-free diet! I was very thankful to come across Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour - such a lifesaver for a mom who likes to bake!

~ The moving-everything-around process is going well, but slowly. No worries--the kids will have their own rooms by the end of the month!

~ Halloween costumes for the year are more or less complete! We're just waiting on shipped items at this point, though I do need to get to the dollar and/or crafts store to make my headpiece. I had been watching a few safari coats/shirts on eBay for The Boy, but gave up yesterday when I found a marvelous vintage safari jacket on etsy for only $6!

I hope everyone had a good weekend, and will enjoy the week ahead! (Do you think I used enough exclamation points in this post?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)