...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wordy Wednesday... The Last Hold Out...

EDITED TO ADD: On further reflection, I don't think I'll be changing much right now! While I daydream about "living math" as being fun, different, and fulfilling, I don't know that I have the time or energy to put it all together! And what we're doing now IS working. The Boy likes Teaching Textbooks, and it is a solid program, while The Girl likes Math Mammoth, another solid program.

In other words, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" or "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

I can add in some games, living books, etc., which I do to some degree now, but could improve upon, without getting rid of what we're doing now!

__________________________________________________________________

Years ago, when I started homeschooling, we used a lot of pre-made curriculum. You know, the kind that comes with lesson plans and a teacher's guide, all set and ready to go. Over the years between then and now, I've managed to drop nearly all of the pre-planned items. I use a living books approach for much of what we do, though there are a few exceptions, those being spelling, phonics, and math.

Today's focus... MATH. Over the years, though I have toyed with moving away from a math curriculum, and we've dabbled in unschooling, I always end up coming back to a regular math program. Why? I think much of it is a lack of confidence. If we don't follow x program, how will I make sure my kids learn x?

I'm challenging myself to step out side that box. I spend a lot of time (too much perhaps!) reading over at Living Math. And in doing so, I have come up with some resources I would like to further explore:

Books by Marilyn Burns
Kitchen Table Math Book 2 and Book 3
The Art of Problem Solving
Zaccaro's Math books
Patty Paper Geometry
Hands-On Equations
And of course, there is Life of Fred, Family Math, etc.

Then there are individual books and resources that are/look really good as well!

With all these resources available, why do I feel so locked into a math program? Something to think about anyhow.

So what am I actually thinking about doing? I'm considering making a list of math topics/areas for each of my kids that I would like them to accomplish prior to algebra. Then I can gather resources for each area of study.

For example, The Girl is not great at telling time. So we could do a unit on clock reading. Start with This Book is About Time, add in hands-on activities with our Judy Clock, practice telling time with various clocks, etc., maybe add in a book for The Boy like On Time: From Seasons to Split Seconds (and let him build a sundial!), OR I could give her worksheets. The first process might be more time-intensive (no pun intended), and frankly I don't know which she would really benefit more from in the long run.

Lots to research and think about.

2 comments:

  1. After doing Living Math for two years I can tell you why I finally went with a math curriculum. Time. It takes time to plan out how to use all of those wonderful resources. When I had a few weeks planned out and we were moving along things were good. Then we would get to the end of the plan and I had yet to make/take time to make the next set of plans. I found we spent a lot of time spinning our wheels. So I caved and went with the curriculum. I feel much better now. YMMV. Now I am considering ways to fit in our fun living math things, but my personality is much more comfortable with using the curriculum as our core.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, Gillian. You know why? You're honest. Plus, you don't write a post and just delete it if you change your thoughts--you leave it up so others can use it as "food for thought."

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)