...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday Musings

Outside My Window...
It was overcast and almost chilly this morning! Mostly warm to hot in the afternoons, and lots of afternoon sunshine. I'm glad the days are getting longer.
That gives us more time to get out and active before, or after, dinner.

In My Garden...
We've picked (and eaten) most of the cherries, though I'll be pitting and freezing a bunch over the next few days. The veggie plants have all doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled in size, and most have blossoms on them. I added another watermelon plant and two lemon cucumbers to the garden last week. Radishes have been planted as well. I think the artichokes are nearly done for the season.

In the House & Kitchen...
I got the hallway closet completely cleaned out and reorganized recently, and washed all the sheets and towels before putting them back. This week's goal is to clean out all the kitchen cupboards. Among other items on the menu this week, taco salad (The Girl's request), and my husband's blackened fish tacos (my request).

In Our Homeschooling...
The Boy and I had a conference yesterday afternoon, where we realized that once again we were over-planning his eighth grade year. We're working on simplifying it a lot, as the best curriculum is the one that gets done. He'll be working with integers this week, courtesy of Math Mammoth, taking a bit of a break from decimal work. The Girl will be continuing to work in Knowing Mathematics and on memorizing her multiplication tables.

Reading & Watching...
The kids have been on a Dr. Who binge the last few days, and I finally started watching Lost with M (and now we can't stop watching it!). We're still catching up on Cosmos, and will watch the first episode of America: The Story of Us, as it ties in well with the last episode we watched of Mankind: The Story of All of Us. Still reading The Wind in the Willows. The Boy is reading a book called 100 Cupboards, and The Girl and I are going to start reading The Lost Children. I'm reading another Mark Helprin book -- In Sunlight & In Shadow -- it is as beautifully written as A Winter's Tale. We're also laughing our way through Poop Happened: A History of the World From the Bottom Up, alongside continued reading of A Little History of the World.

Happenings This Week...
The Boy is getting a belated birthday lunch out with my sister (The Girl will go too). I'm working on end-of-the-year stuff at work, and still hoping they'll rescind the layoff. There's fencing, derby practice, and tomorrow evening a family bike ride, maybe some Frisbee tossing!

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)