...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Not much to report...

but I thought I'd update anyway!

School-wise, C.O. is moving into counting by 5's, and has been playing a lot with his set of Learning Wrap-Ups. I got him a set of Bob Books, as I have this theory that if it is easy for him to read, he'll be less reluctant to read, and will move gradually toward more complex reading without much resistance. Guess what? It's working - he's actually excited to be reading out loud! He is also moving into using lowercase letters as opposed to all capitals, all at his own desire and pace.

C.J. is doing well with printouts from Enchanted Learning. She does a lot of color-and-count pages, along with basic alphabet activity sheets. I have started some phonics work with her as well, and we spend a lot of time playing around on Starfall.

We're starting a unit on recycling (just in time for Earth Day next month!), combining it with our other studies. Our apartment complex doesn't do recycling, as far as I've been able to find out, so I am working on a proposal for the property managment company. In the meantime, I can teach the kids about taking care of the Earth, and they can help sort our recycling. I actually have a lot of recycled-materials-art-projects at my fingertips, so we will be doing some of those. If anyone reading this knows of any good books, projects, etc., for young kids learning about the environment and conservation, let me know!

5 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I saw a Bob Book - how I sneered. Then I had a child: a child who struggled with reading. Suddenly I saw the great wisdom behind Bob. We loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a great book at the library called Recycle Every Day. We picked it up randomly one time and just loved it. It was Recycle Day at gymnastics today. Coincidence???

    Another coincidence... Cameron just figured out counting by 5's too. It's been introduced a few times and met with confusion (5, 10, 20, 30?) but today, in the car, he counted from 0 to 115 by 5's with no help at all. :)

    See you at the field trip tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, one more thing - the best thing about Bob books is that there isn't too much on one page. It's so much less intimidating that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the Bob books. I really need to set them out for my dd. Thanks for reminding me!

    Brenda Marie
    http://homeschool4us.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, were not going to that Saturday field trip. We'll be out of town, again, for Easter. :( I really wanted to go to that one too.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)