...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Slow days...

C.O. did twice his average lesson workload earlier this week, so we're taking it a bit easy. He is officially 3/4 of the way through his first grade math - I honestly thought we weren't quite that far along!

I realized that I hadn't really thought about art all that much for next year, except as projects to go along with science or history, but not as art for art's sake. Of course, my kids are always drawing anyway, so I am not sure how much of an art curriculum we'd need. I did find this book... The Everything Drawing Book, which looks promising, and I hear Drawing with Children is good, so I may have to look at that one too.

As far as music goes, I have some cds that I think will lend themselves well to our studies. I have Mozart in Egypt, Ravi Shankar's The Sounds of India, and Silk Road Journeys (Yo-Yo Ma). I plan on collecting more over the summer - music that reflects different cultures in the regions we'll be studying.

That's all for now!

3 comments:

  1. I really need to get a CD player so that we can do more music. As for art, my dd loves to paint. There's a lot of great art supplies that I pick up for her at our local dollar store. I just thought I'd mention that in case you'd want to check that option out too. Ours even have drawing paper in various sizes as well as various paints, cross stitch kits and other great supplies.

    Brenda Marie
    http://homeschool4us.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about music a lot, too ... I actually got a book "The Story of an Orchestra" by Robert Levine, and decided to make each chapter a month's study. It's a short book, but that way I make sure to cover stuff. Like, for example, November is Baroque month and we listen to baroque music. That sort of thing.

    I dig Ravi Shankar, and I absolutely love, love, love Yo-Yo Ma. He's a darling and a wonderful, brilliant cellist. He was also on an old episode of "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" once. I rented it for the kids a few years back.

    OK, enugh about Yo-Yo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "enough" not enugh. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)