...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Sunday, June 17, 2007

6/16 through 6/17... art fair and housework...

Saturday: We went to the Marin Art Festival, courtesy of one of the artists (she gets all her matting supplies from the company M works for). We saw everything from truly gorgeous art to stuff you couldn't pay me to take home. I especially loved some abstract sculptures that turn in the wind - full of clear, strong colors; and all the things carved from wood - bowls, cups, platters, and more. Some of the prices were more incredible than the artwork! Both kids took advantage of the free face painting booth. C.O. got the Batman logo painted on his face, while C.J. looked like a beautiful fairy princess. C.J. loved the stilt-walkers and kept hunting them out all over the festival. They both found artwork they absolutely loved, and some of it gave me ideas for some work of my own.
Afterwards, we stopped by to visit my dad. I think one of these days, M and I will go down there for the afternoon to fix his tippy fence and tidy up his yard. His roses need pruning, the grass needs to be de-thatched and overseeded. It's a very small yard, so it won't need much, but since my dad had a stroke almost 7 years ago (when I was 2 months pregnant with C.O.), he hasn't been able to do these things very easily.

Today: We started out the day with one of the kids' favorite breakfasts - oatmeal pancakes from the
Laurel's Kitchen cookbook. Our plans for the day include cleaning house (so exciting!), baking bread, and doing laundry. C.J. always loves to help sort the laundry, and both like making bread. Maybe I'll make M a batch of cinnamon rolls too since his new, extended hours start tomorrow. If we can get everything done in a fairly timely fashion, I'll take the elflings over to the park later in the afternoon/early evening. I am debating what book to start reading to the kids next - I am jealous that Jenny's kids are digging Harry Potter! Mine like the movies, but when I tried (a few months back) to read the books aloud, they had little interest. Maybe I'll have to dig out volume one and try again! I think we may try James & the Giant Peach too (or instead).

This week will be a busy one. I have a 2-day training at the grocery store, M has a birthday, I start classes tomorrow morning. By Friday, I will be working 2 jobs a day, just through the end of the month, thankfully. There's an unschooling potluck dinner this week that I hope to make it to - just have to decide on a dish to bring, and see how my energy levels are holding up!

3 comments:

  1. Get the audio book of HP- THat is how we first read it with the kids- and we mostly listened in the car (though I know this didn't work out so well for Jenny's kids- the stories in the car thing), the audios are fantastic though.

    Good Luck!!

    Oh and I hope you will join Jenny on her journey over To The Dark Side (unschooling) LOL! I saw you are reading Nurtured by Love (blog) they are quite the inspiring unschooling family huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancake breakfasts with the kids. Something about a school morning starting that way is awesome. We have "Pancake Fridays." LOL

    Sounds like you're so busy. That's good, right? Your mood's okay? ((((hugs)))))

    And you totally know that I'm going to say YIPPEEEE to James and the Giant Peach because we just read it. There's SO much to enjoy and mull over and discuss there. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. update please!! I know you're busy, but inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)