...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, June 15, 2007

Things are actually looking up...

Yesterday seems to have been the turning point. I got a job (yeah, it's only a moderately okay one - I'll be doing retail again) that will cover many of our expenses, and then when I picked M up from work, it turned out he had gotten more hours and a raise! I've gone over the numbers again and again, and it looks like we'll be out of the hole finally. I still plan on quitting this unexciting job at the end of summer and going back to my sweet little 15-hour-a-week position, especially since I am due my one year raise at that point. I'm also working on some little artistic endeavors to sell (maybe eBay, maybe an etsy shop, maybe farmer's market, etc.). Teaching art classes is kind of a no-go right now (thanks other lady, said sarcastically of course), but I am trying to accept that everything happens for a reason.

So, I am feeling very much relieved. I know this summer won't be the easiest one, but we'll get through it. I play with the kids daily, reading them stories, playing board games, and it really does help. I try very, very hard to keep my negativity away from them. And in the fall, hopefully things will be somewhat back to normal!

Back to class for me next week. My psychlogy class sounds interesting, but I'll admit, I am not looking forward to speech class (I abhor public speaking). But, it is required for transfer, so I'll endure it. In the fall, I get the pleasure of enrolling in math. Oh joy.

The kids are doing well, although they seem to be having a hard time adjusting to not doing lessons. Every day they ask if we are homeschooling today, to which I always reply that I didn't have anything planned. C.O. reads nearly every word he comes across, and today I caught him multiplying... 3x2, 3x3, 3x4.... up to 3x10. C.J. is in the midst of that lovely stage where she has become a real smart aleck - I was thinking of another word there that begins with an "a" but I'll resist ;) If everything goes the way it's looking, they'll be back in Aikido and ballet by fall, which they are both looking forward to. I think though, that C.J. would be really good at martial arts too, so I may look into that for her as well.

I am still in the (apparently eternal) inner debate over curriculum (see my link in the sidebar). At least I have a couple of months to figure it out!

2 comments:

  1. Happy, happy news. That's very awesome, G. (hug)

    And it may not be the ideal summer for ya'll, but it sounds like it's not going to be as horrible as you thought either.

    Nerd that I am, when I get downtime, I print out stuff from the Internet (like mazes, paper dolls, fun pages, etc.) so when the kids are listless, they can just take stuff out of the fun folder and do either educational fun stuff or just fun stuff. : ) It sounds like your kids are finding cool stuff to learn, though. Wow, multiplication tables, huh? WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - it's funny because he figured out the multiplication thing himself! I think I have a little math geek on my hands.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)