...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, September 8, 2007

End of "week" one...

Well, it was a three day school week! But, everything is going well so far, and we're off to a good start.!

Math:
We're actually using the Meeting Books that come with Saxon Math this year. Both kids fill them out every morning. C.O. loves doing his weather graph (he got to mark "cool" yesterday and was very excited), and C.J. is definately learning patterning. C.O.'s worksheets are mostly review at this point, so he's flying through them. I've been printing out basic worksheets for C.J. from Enchanted Learning, and she's been exploring manipulatives.

Language Arts:
Both kids are enjoying their Code books. C.O. has done most of the first unit of Explode the Code 2, and C.J. is working on the letter "f" in Get Ready for the Code. They both did a couple of pages in HWOT as well, plus we're reading a lot. C.O. reads a Bob book out loud every day, and I am reading the classic Winnie-the-Pooh stories to them at bedtime. I've also been reading one of Aesop's Fables to them as a start to homeschooling every morning.

Science:
We're studying cell structure. I am going to give the kids another overview on cells this next week, and then we'll make a Jello cell. After that, we'll move on to our animal studies (starting in week 3). I just want the kids to have a basic understanding of what everything is built from!

History:
We read the intro to SOTW this week, and are now focused on archeology. I read to them a bit from the book Archeology for Kids, and we're exploring a really cool website - Kids Dig Reed, which is a site dedicated to an actual dig in the U.S. Yesterday at the park, C.O. and C.J. kept asking me to bury things so that they could excavate them. I have a few books on hold at the library that I'll pick up on Monday, and I may set up some sort of backyard project next week. I also ordered Walking with Cavemen from Netflix.

Other:
No gymnastics this week because of the holiday, but we'll start back up next week. We did go to a park day, and again worked on identifying poison oak. As far as art and music, we'll start that up next week. C.O. also starts his enrichment classes next week.

So there's our first week in review.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to get the Bill Nye video on fossils/archaeology from the library. My kids LOVED it. They still quote this one line: "This artifact did NOT fall off a truck. OK, it fell off a truck." I, personally, don't get why that is so hilarious but they sure think it is. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)