...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, September 7, 2007

What a weird and awkward day...

About 10 this morning, I got a call from my mom, letting me know that my dad is going in for heart surgery next week. It's the same surgical procedure he had done on his carotid arteries almost exactly 7 years ago (when I was about 2 months pregnant with C.O.), due to the fact that his unhealthy lifestyle leads to a lot of plaque buildup in his arteries. Anyhow, then there was a 2% chance of negative side effects, and within 24 hours of that surgery, he had a stroke. He's never been the same since. I am terrified that this will give him another stroke, or worse, that he won't make it through this one, since he is in worse health overall now, as well as in his mid-seventies. He hasn't been the best father, but still, he's my dad. I don't want the kids to lose another grandparent. We've lost all 3 of their great-grandparents (the ones they knew), and one (step) grandfather within the last year. So please, keep my dad in your thoughts.

After this call, we headed off to park day. I chatted with a couple of the moms, but was still down about the phone call. Then Jenny got there, and I just toally didn't know what to say or do, other than leave her alone until she's ready to talk. I just didn't want to make her cry, as I am sure she's been doing enough of that without my help.

So now, I am crying instead. I'm crying for my friend, who is a wonderful mom, and who I know would have been a great mom to another baby. I am crying because I am scared for my dad, who I am not ready to lose, or even face losing right now...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry about your dad. I'll be thinking good thoughts for him.

    And honestly, just knowing that you knew and were there for me was a great comfort. I was sitting at the picnic tables with all these happy, oblivious moms and looked over at you in the sandbox, carefully avoiding my gaze, and it felt nice to know that you, at least, understood my grief.

    I really should've told everyone, especially after how fabulous Karen was. Did you hear her story? :O It's just a hard topic to bring up, you know? Much easier to type about.

    Anyway, sorry to make this all about me again. Best wishes for your dad. {Hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers are being sent for your father ...

    ((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

    And I've cried about Jenny's loss, too. :(

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)