...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

First day of "school"...

We had planned to start yesterday, but then I worked all day instead, so we started this morning. First, I read "The Tortoise and the Hare" from the book of Aesop's Fables we got a while ago. Then we moved on to math. We did our Saxon Math Meeting Books (never have done these before, but they're kind of fun). C.O. filled in his weather chart, the date, and started on a family birthday graph, while C.J. filled in the date and worked on a coloring pattern (light green and orange for September), then she played with manipulatives and counted items on a worksheet for me, while C.O. did side A of his first worksheet. After that, both kids did a bunch of jumping jacks, and then we moved onto phonics. C.O. did two pages on matching words and recognizing blended starting sounds. He got all the starting sounds on the first try, which made both of us happy! C.J. worked on the first few pages of Get Ready for the Code, which is on the "F" sound. We wrapped up today with science. I read to them from the Biology4Kids web site, and then they colored and compared plant and animal cell printouts from Enchanted Learning (well, okay, C.O. did. C.J. started to, but decided to draw with sidewalk chalk instead) - I'll post pics of C.O.'s nice work later under "Science" in my other blog. Overall, I think it went well, although I can tell it will be a bit of a balancing act managing both their efforts.

Now we are getting ready to go to the laundromat, since our garage is too full of boxes and furniture to fit in the washing machine my mom's loaning us. I'll still use our clotheslines though! We also got dishes done, watered the hydrangeas, vacuumed the family room... it's been a busy morning. It's really, really nice that they can run out back whenever they want - this is one of the biggest changes so far with the move.

Side note - C.O. has been willingly reading aloud to us from his Bob Books every evening before bed, before I read a story to them... right now we're going through the classic Winnie-the-Pooh stories. Anyhow, with all this practice, he's getting a lot more confident!

2 comments:

  1. Park day is this week! Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to write it on the calendar myself and would have completely forgotten it! I'll email you a new copy of the newsletter.

    Congrats on a great first day of school - even amid all the boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy first day of school!

    Three cheers. : )

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)