...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, March 9, 2007

Stickers, stickers everywhere....

There are stickers popping up everywhere in my house. I found C.O.'s name in stickers on the bedroom door, there are stickers on the fridge, stickers on multiple pieces of paper.... I entirely blame the local homeschool association, as they are the ones that arranged the super-cool factory tour at Mrs. Grossman's Sticker Factory. We had so much fun! Both kids behaved really well for the tour itself, though I'll admit C.O. was really impatient to get started when we got there, and were waiting for other homeschoolers to finish arriving. We are working very hard on patience! They did love decorating postcards with stickers, as did I, because that was a lot of fun! Plus we got about a million free stickers to take home, and I bought a few... I couldn't resist one alphabet set that was just beautiful, see?



Plus the kids each got a set of reusable ones, and a grab bag. I could easily have spent loads of money - thankfully I had left my debit card at home and had to use cash!

We've done some math, some language arts, a little mapping, a little bit of planet studies this week. Today I'm taking a "mental health" day and we're going to clean and rearrange the kids room so that there is a little more open floor space for playing. I also realized that I don't really need to keep an entire large box full of outgrown baby/toddler shoes, so I think I'll be cleaning out the top shelf of their closet (who knows what other treasures lurk up there???). Today's educational plans - math, language arts, coloring a picture of the solar system, and starting the next unit in Maps, Graphs, Globes, which is... ummmm... let me go look.... okay - Symbols and Map Keys. I also need to spend some time today figuring out what to study next - do we want to stick with the planets for another few weeks, or move on to something else? I'll have to ask the kids. Maybe dinosaurs? Archeology? I also realized yesterday that if we keep up our math studies at the rate we're going, we will finish Saxon Math 1 before the end of June. We will also finish Maps, Graphs, Globes, and the last 10 pages we have of Handwriting without Tears. Our language arts book from Houghton Mifflin is another story - we will be working on that again in the fall, which is fine with me because it is a grade level above where C.O. "should" be, and he's about halfway through it. We're actually doing spelling and vocabulary lists already! We've done maybe a third of the experiements in The Everything Kids Science Experiment Book, but there are a number that will be fun to try next year, and even beyond.

So there, in a long rambling nutshell, is our progress report!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I loved that alphabet set too! I like your "educational" rationale. You should go to their website and search by the "school" theme - but put your debit card far, far away first, lol.

    Sounds like your school year is going great! It also sounds like your charter is really working out. It must be nice to have access to all that curriculum. Is CJ going to officially start there next year too or will she still be preK? I'm glad I don't have to worry about it - I'm just calling Cassia K4 next year, lol. Nice and vague. ;)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)