...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Aikido...

C.O. had his first Aikido lesson yesterday. We bought his uniform at the end of class, so he wore his "I do all my own stunts" t-shirt, which he thought was very appropriate. Anyhow, he loved the class. His teacher is a woman who has been doing Aikido (and other martial arts) for nearly 30 years - she was very gentle, but firm, with the kids. They learned about proper mat behavior, like bowing when they enter or leave the mat, sitting in a proper "mountain" pose, and general good class behavior. Then they worked through a series of animal movements. C.O. had a big grin on his face the whole time! Then, he couldn't wait to get home and try on his uniform, just the top and pants, since he has to earn his belt. I'm really glad he enjoyed it. We may start karate in the fall if C.O. keeps enjoying this! C.J. starts ballet next Friday, and is also very excited, especially since we bought her ballet shoes, which she is dying to wear.

After we got home, and C.O. showed M the uniform, we sat down to do some school work. C.J. played with her puzzle book while C.O. finished Maps, Graphs, Globes, did 2 pages of math, and the final 2 pages in unit 6 of his language arts book, which included drawing, and labeling, a picture of his cat Donovan. I was thrilled when C.O. figured out the spelling of "My cat" himself - I only has to coach him through "Donovan". Today, I hope for another 1-2 pages math, a couple of pages of social studies from Enchanted Learning (we're doing the "Where I Live" print-out books), and the first 1-2 pages of unit 7 in language arts. We also have 4-H today, and will be volunteering for our club positions today - C.O. wants to be the youth leader for Community Service (in which case I'd be the adult leader), plus he's interested in being a Sargeant-at-Arms. We thought we might also volunteer for the Take Down crew. We'll see...

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I swear, I read your blog entries and that's what I usually think, right off the bat. "That's FUN!" Your kids must just adore being homeschooled. Seriously.

    Akido sounds particularly fabulous, and I keep hoping my kids will show some liking towards it. Because then, you know, they could teach me. LOL

    And I love that shirt. Baby Sebastian (OK, so he's a toddler now) has it. I thought it the perfect shirt considering he is at the age where he climbs and dives off whatever he has just climbed on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the homeschool akido class or one through your community center? I keep thinking about that one in the newsletter... but it will have to wait until after t-ball.

    It looks like we missed akido during the 4-H meeting too! Man! Of all the meetings to miss. :( Anyway, blah, blah, blah. See you Friday, I hope.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)