...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dare I throw all caution to the wind?

Yet another rambling post, but what can I say, rambling is fun!

I was flipping through two of my children's most prized books yesterday...





These books are a veritable treasure trove! Poetry to memorize, stories of ancient kings and queens, rules to games, the Wright Brothers, natural wonders of the world... and the list goes on and on.

I'm seriously debating throwing nearly everything else from my (over) extensive planning out the window, though keeping Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, Math Mammoth, and Brave Writer. And maybe, maybe reading aloud A Little History of the World, simply because it is a delightful book.

Am I crazy yet, or does this sound like fun (and not too crazy)?

In the meantime, to give us a mental winter break, we're going to simply focus on getting through The Magic of Reality, which is another immensely interesting book, and doing a unit study on mythical creatures - I found an awesome one through the American Museum of Natural History!

4 comments:

  1. Remember this:

    http://only-smallthings.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-we-learn-dangerous-book-for-boys.html

    Caution, meet wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I triple-dog dare ya. OK, great minds and all that, but my MIL bought these for my kids a couple of years ago -- um, when they were three and one years old. Of course, they are too young for them even at this point, but it has long been a plan of mine to make these the curriculum one year -- maybe about third grade or so. You might also check out Steven Caney's Kids' America which is along the same lines and would be a great supplement. So cool. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it sounds entirely awesome! Really, very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought this one for my nephew for Chirstmas a couple of years ago and it's still one of his favourite books! I should really buy the girl one for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)