...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Another Wordy Wednesday... Changes Are Afoot...

In 2007, we bought a home, with my BIL. For over four years, we have lived together, sometimes with things going more smoothly than others, but usually things went pretty well. We split the mortgage and the bills three ways, between the three adults in the house. The kids didn't mind sharing a room (three bedroom house), and with the yard, huge family room, etc., there's always been enough space... well, almost enough space. Sometimes we'd disagree, over paint colors, furniture placement, whether or not boxed foods really had a place in our home, but nothing terrible.

Now, BIL is moving on... and out. He has a girlfriend, a serious girlfriend, and they want to find a home together. They are scoping out rentals already. What does this actually mean for us, the family on an ever-tight budget (so that I don't have to work full-time and can homeschool the kids)?

Pros: BIL understands that this is quite sudden - we were only notified of this at the end of January, so he has offered, which I appreciate, to continue paying his part of the mortgage and property taxes, until M and I can gradually take it over. Believe me, I really appreciate that! We'd buy him out in an instant if we could, but that's not happening right now.

We'll have another bedroom with an attached bathroom! M and I will move into BIL's old room, the "master" bedroom. Cricket will move into our old room, and Bug will keep theirs, with their bathroom in between. This means we don't have to fix up the loft above the garage for Bug!

I won't have anyone to argue with over paint colors, because truthfully, M doesn't really care as long as the house is fairly tidy. He's not a detail man when it comes to home decor. Apricot/orange dining room, here we come!

Finally, I think this will change the energy in our home. There are a lot of differences that lay beneath the surface, threatening to become issues. For example, BIL does not like that we homeschool (tough cookies on that one!), and he and M have some personality conflicts.

Cons: With BIL no longer chipping in on utilities and groceries, money will tighter than ever. I am due for a raise in less than 3 months, and M is going to talk to his boss about a raise, since it has been quite a while since he got one. In the meantime though, I am prepping myself. I know how to be thrifty - I just need to be better at it! Goes along with my Goal #3 for this year. So I am further preparing myself with a little light reading...









So, I am cheering myself on. I know the transition of the next couple of months will be interesting, and sometimes challenging. It'll take us longer to pay off those pesky debts. But, big picture, I think this is good! We do need to get that veggie garden in full swing this year!

Any tips on a frugal life? What are your favorite ways to save money and make a dollar stretch?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, frugality. I know it well. Perhaps I will e-mail you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a new door opening. Change is good, though hard and I'm sure this new change will bear fruit! Let me know if you want help picking colors. That's a favorite activity of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it does sound like you will have some more positive energy flowing around there for sure. Big and exciting changes. I have no great frugality tips other than just don't spend. When we need to we just going on a spending fast -- no-buy months or no-eat-out months. Other than that we are pretty horrible at the whole frugality thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do the frugality thing, I have no doubts. Being frugal is actually fun - no need to feel deprived. I don't have any specific tips except to question ALL expenses. Best wishes for the upcoming changes in your life. (And I love the idea of apricot and orange....we're in the process of decided (ahem...sometimes arguing) over our new kitchen colors. I just might suggest apricot and orange! Our current colors are a black and white retro look. I long for color!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheering you on, too! I would love to see posts about what you are doing exactly, if it's not too personal. What an inspiration. I need to be more frugal as well.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)