...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gods and Stories...

The Boy has started reading through his Greek myths for the National Mythology Exam. This has reawakened an interest in all things mythological to the degree that the first the first words out of his mouth this morning were about the Egyptian goddess Sekhmet... did I know, that among other things, she was the goddess of perfume?

I've been thinking of project ideas to help him remember everything as he goes, and besides the Waldorf-inspired Main Lesson book idea (which he loves), I think we might make a family tree for the Greek and Roman gods! He will also be studying the Norse gods for his subtest section, which is, I think, appropriate as his middle name is that of a Norse god.

The Girl and I, while waiting for her Kaya book(s) to arrive at the library, have been reading our way through a delightful book of African stories...


 She also watched two of the Families of the World dvds -- Egypt and Kenya. We always enjoy these videos! Each one profiles two children from that country, usually an urban child, and a rural one. They talk about customs, culture, food, holidays, house styles, schooling, and a lot more! I think I might have her check out Wild Africa (she loves animal shows), and/or National Geographic: Africa. Then there is also the series Lost Kingdoms of Africa that looks intriguing (not that my interest means she'll be interested)!



We're also gearing up for some Christmas/winter holiday reading. And we're looking very much forward to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (my birthday treat this year). We decided to go ahead and read the book first, right after we finish our current Oz book, which we should finish up this week.

Now, the question is, do we want to see the digital (i.e. regular) version, or the 3D version?

Anyhow, hope you're all having a good week! I am finding, as I always do, that we seem to actually accomplish more when I relax about things. Now I just need to remember this when I get stressed out that I am ruining their education!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I never get stressed out.

    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

    We're looking forward to The Hobbit as well. And, we're relaxing a bit around here, too. And it has snowed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't wait for The Hobbit! I didn't even know it was coming out in 3D...I am always behind the times on these things;).

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)