...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Good and the Bad...

Normally, I don't discuss politics on my blog. But, I must say, I am SO relieved this morning! Last night's race was just too close for comfort until the end, when the man I am proud to say I voted for clinched a second term!!!

I am also sorry to say I am not surprised, with all his arrogance that, according to several news sources, Romney didn't even bother to write a concession speech (Obama on the other hand had one ready, just in case). Regardless, I am thankful that America made the choice they did. (And by the way, how about Clinton in 2016?)

Now the bad... I am very disappointed in Californians (of which I am one). Proposition 37, a measure near and dear to my heart, failed. I realize that there were likely flaws in the proposition, but I thought it was such a huge step forward for consumers. In case you are not from our sunny state (which is at the moment totally overcast and damp, at least in the northern part), that was the measure that would have forced the food industry to label products that contain GMO's.

Discussing it briefly with my husband this morning, I came to the realization though that while I very much wanted this measure to pass, it actually doesn't affect us that much. It just means we will keep going the way we do, with more of this...

 And shopping like this...

And of course, next to none of this...

I say "next to none" because we aren't perfect. There's the occasional soda, or box of [non-organic] crackers, or -- dare I say it? -- yes, even the occasional fast food burger, although even that is getting fewer and farther between. Homemade just tastes better! And it's cheaper to eat at home. Looking at the picture above, I don't think I've ever even bought half the junk in that cart.

If you're ever looking for a really good blog that outlines eating, cooking, etc., in a simple, straightforward and healthy way, take a look at 100 Days of Real Food. I head over there frequently for inspiration.

Okay, I am done with my political ranting and raving. I'll just leave you with one of my favorite images from this morning...


Happy Post-Election Day!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I don't usually leave political comments on blogs, but... that was a pretty good speech Romney gave, for not having written it well in advance, eh? Spoken from the heart, perhaps. Not everyone can do that.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't offend me! I just thought... hmm... arrogant? Really?

    :-)

    You'll have to do better than that to drive me away. I enjoy watching you homeschool your kids too much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was disappointed with Prop 37 too, though unfortunately I'm not surprised. :( I was very happy, though, to wake up and find that dh would not be adding 7 more furloughs to his school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:02 AM

    Yes, I'm glad I don't have to see his smarmy face anymore. LOL Typical arrogant, rich white man who doesn't care about anyone but himself. And that's me being nice. ;)

    America is not a corporation. It's people.

    Now I hope the GOP-dominated House will actually play ball, instead of trying to stop our President at every turn and keep him from making progress. *sigh*

    I'm glad it's over too. Even though we live overseas right now, we still got plenty of news via the internet. I still saw plenty of misinformed opinions and posts out there. I hear/read enough BS from my ex-husband, for goodness sake!

    Mostly, I'm grateful to know I might actually come home to some sort of health coverage. That's my biggest concern as the husband's enlistment ends next year - health insurance.

    It is so wrong that CA did not vote to label GMOs, though I understand the Prop can be rewritten and they can try again, right? I hope so. I know I want to avoid GMOs when I go shopping... But it's just another reason to grow as much of one's own food and visit as many farmer markets, and such, as possible.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)