...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday Musings...

Another month is flying by! I swear I don't know where the time goes.

What We've Been Up To...
Yesterday, The Boy tried out volunteer work at a local community bike shop. M took him there (on bicycle, naturally) and hung out/volunteered too. The Boy came home looking like this...


So I think it was a success! He also smelled of grease -- apparently he spent the hour and half taking apart hubs.

The Girl found out yesterday that she made the roster for the teen derby team. She may or may not play in the game later this month, since she is new to the roster, but just being on there made her a happy girl! She and I also watched 13 Going On 30, which was a lot of fun.

Outside My Window...
Cool, overcast mornings lately, and then fairly cool afternoons with some sunshine. The apple tree is still blooming, but the cherry tree has finished. There's no rain showing up in the extended forecast, much to my dismay.

In the House and Garden...
Our dwarf peach has baby peaches already! The Swiss Chard also made a sudden comeback, and my artichoke plants, put in last year, are thriving. We're cleaning out the garage these days, and I am getting myself mentally prepared to clean out more of our books. We're hoping to put in tomatoes, peppers, and maybe some squash over the next couple of weeks. I also want to get going on building a salad box for mixed greens.

In Our Homeschooling...
We'll be reading about Buddhism this week in The Human Odyssey, and I have a couple of Demi's beautiful books to compliment this chapter. We did start The Adventures of Rama, but it wasn't quite what we hoped, so back to the library it went! We started enjoying a fairy tale each day from The Blue Fairy Book, after I read this post. And starting with a fairy tale is a lovely way to start each school day! The Girl will be moving on in Knowing Mathematics, and I have to say, if you want/need to make sure a child's 4th/5th/6th grade math skills are pretty solid, this is a great, and fairly quick, way to make sure they are! I can actually see the facts getting cemented somehow. The Boy will keep going with Challenge Math, though he also wants to work with Alcumus this week. And there will be writing, and reading work, etc.

Reading and Watching...
Of course we'll watch the next Cosmos episode this week, and I want to start watching our HHMI videos. We're continuing with The Wind in the Willows, an absolute delight, and perhaps finally finishing those biographies. I think we might watch Little Buddha (again) for family movie night.

What I Am Thinking About...
Getting ready for fall! Well, homeschooling in fall specifically. I am looking longingly at Journeys Through Bookland, specifically volumes three and five, and am trying to decide if I really need them or not. Would that just be too much?

On the Agenda...
I have only five weeks of classes left this semester. while I have certainly enjoyed this semester more than the last one, I am also relieved that my break is coming up soon! Fencing, school, maybe more derby practices (she should be going twice a week soon)... the action never stops!

Have a good week!

2 comments:

  1. Oh we are so due a garage cleanout too! I shudder every time I go in there. The kids' volunteer work is so inspiring-good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all looks so HAPPY! :)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)