...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Simplicity....


sim·plic·i·ty
noun \sim-ˈpli-sə-tē, -ˈplis-tē\ : the quality of being easy to understand or use
: the state or quality of being plain or not fancy or complicated
: something that is simple or ordinary but enjoyable

clut·ter
verb \ˈklə-tər\
: to fill or cover (something) with many things : to fill or cover (something) with clutter 
:  to run in disorder 
:  to fill or cover with scattered or disordered things that impede movement or reduce effectiveness clutter
ed with toys> —often used with up


After missing much of what was on my carefully written homeschool agenda last week, and still seeing how much the kids managed to do,  I sighed in relief. And a bit of exasperation. Overscheduling... cluttering... has been my homeschool nemesis since day one. And truthfully, the best days, weeks, months we have, are the ones where I back off.

So we met, discussed, and cut. Yes, they love Greek mythology and such, but not when I am cramming it in to them 4-5 days a week. What I need to do is learn to trust the process.

trust
noun \ˈtrəst\
: belief that someone or something is reliable, good, honest, effective, etc.
: [an] organization that results from the creation of [a] trust*

(*If you take out the words I put in brackets, this definition takes on a whole new meaning, one that I especially like!)

My friend Jessica gives a beautiful example of trusting the process in her review of their first week of fourth grade. Such simplicity, and so much attention to the actual needs of her son. And I read a fantastic article on transcending the school mindset.

So those are my keywords for now... simplicity and trust
 
Besides all that, we made time to go the the local Renaissance Faire...

A Peregrine Falcon
Getting ready for a duel
Belly dancers
At the Queen's Court
Cool masks
Fairies (I love the green yarn wig!)
And there was much pillow fighting!
Which, by the way, was called "Twilzewop"
And there was the crafting of leather pouches
And more dancing
We had a lovely time, though it was the first year that M couldn't join us, as he was at work. Next year, in addition to this faire, we may look to attend one of the larger scale ones.

So, how do you keep things simple?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)