...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Schooling & work updates...

I'll start with work - I had an interview a couple of days ago with the local Office of Education for an admin support position. Apparently, it went well, because I go back next week for a final interview, with the director! I'm really excited about this - it's very part-time (15 hours weekly, all in 3 hour earlyish am shifts), working in the Special Ed dept., so I'd still be doing work that is beneficial. I would get to help facilitate workshops a couple of mornings a week, which is cool. On the downside, because it is so part-time, it won't quite cover my half of our expenses, so I am looking at a second job too, with a school district as a 2-evening-a-week adult education center secretary. Best of all, even with these two jobs, I won't be gone from home all that much!

School - I have finally reached a decision I feel at peace with. I will go ahead and enroll C.O. in the charter school homeschooling program for his kindergarten year. That way, when I send a letter to the public school, I can actually honestly say he's enrolled in another school. Also, it will give me a support system for his first "real" year of homeschooling, and I'll learn a lot about record-keeping, lesson planning, etc. Then, for first grade on, unless we love the charter school, we'll homeschool as a private school. M is comfortable with this idea too, which is obviuosly important.

Speaking of M, he turned in two more applications last week, so keep your fingers crossed for him!

I did write my mom a really long email, with links to articles, the charter school, etc., explaining why we want to homeschool, and that C.O. will be adequately socialized. So, I am just waiting for any response, hopefully positive.

1 comment:

  1. Job is sounding good, best wishes. And I think your decision about school is the right one and excellent. GOod luck with both and I am sure you will see it will work out well once things get rolling.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)