...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Visited one of the nearby charter schools today

to see what their homeschooling program is all about, and we really liked them! They said they are really only there for any needed guidance, and to provide access to supplies, plus they're offering all the books I have in my e-shopping-carts, waiting to be bought! Also, C.O. can go to an art/story time/music class every Monday morning, and then, if he brings a lunch, he can have some play time with the other K-2 kids. They seemed very relaxed, and very willing to go with child-led, parent-directed education. I think it will work out well for his kindergarten year, then we'll fly solo most likely. I have to fill out a couple of simple forms, mail them back in, and we're good to go! I'll have to check in with a teacher every couple of weeks, but that doesn't seem like too much trouble.
 
I know there are a lot of people out there that believe going through a charter school is not really homeschooling. While I think that may be true of some charter school programs, I don't think it holds true for all. With everything I heard today (and believe me, I ask a lot of questions), I will still be the one leading him on this path - they are there as backup, not the guiding/ruling force.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)