...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, August 21, 2006

This weekend...

M & I took both the elflings to the Wings Over Wine Country Airshow on Saturday. C.O. was absolutely fascinated by everything he saw - he watched the show, he sat in the cockpit of a jet, he sat in a race car, and got a race car poster (now in a place on honor on above his bed, next to the signed airplane poster from last year). The look of awe on his face the whole time was wonderful to see. Even with a minor cold (we're all sick now), he had a lot of fun! C.J. wasn't quite as thrilled, though she did like sitting in the plane and the race car. She is not really very fond of loud noises. Both kids enjoyed climbing in and out of army vehicles, and meeting a pilot. They went back with my sister on Sunday, and I spent a lot of the day in bed. I hate being sick - it just seems like such a waste of time! Plus I got sunburned on Saturday, so I think I had minor heat exhaustion in addition to a nasty head & throat cold. I feel a little better today, after about a million hours of sleep, just very fuzzy in the head.

School around here started today - I could hear kids around the apartment complex on their way out. C.O. says he's really glad he doesn't have to go somewhere everyday. I finished reading "Homeschooling for Excellence" and think I'll pass it on to my mom. Maybe she'll read it! She and my sister came up with the hare-brained idea that I should go ahead and put C.O. in the public school for the two weeks before the charter schools start. I did find yet another charter school to think about too... Orchard View Charter School. They have much higher testing scores than Pathways. This is if I go with the charter option - I don't know. This stress is all pointless. There's a comment on my previous post that I have to agree is completely reasonable.

In other homeschooling news, I got my Rainbow Resource catalog yesterday. When I ordered their free catalog, I thought it would be another regular, thin, little catalog - nope! It's got over 1,100 pages of homeschooling goodies! I spent a couple of my quiet in-bed hours yesterday looking at nearly everything in it. It is so much fun to look at all the things that are out their for families that choose to educate on their own. I saw a lot of books listed that I had read as a child and enjoyed, but that had slipped my mind. I also gave C.O. the math placement test from Saxon yesterday, out of curiousity more than anything, since Saxon doesn't look all that interesting. He scored right into higher first grade! C.J. took it too, because she has to do everything her brother does, and she scored high on the kindergarten test! I must be doing something right!

1 comment:

  1. i have several friends who's kids go to harmony blend school at salmon creek - if i understand correctly it's part time so that you can do some homeschooling and some there. and it's lots of hippies! have you checked it out? just another option...
    you're right. this decision is only for you and m to make based on your children's needs.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)