...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Will it work for us?

I know a fair number of homeschooling families out there actually have lesson plans - we don't, until today that is! I decided to give lesson planning a try, one week at a time. I made myself an easy chart to fill out, with boxes where the kids can check off what they've done. It goes into place Monday, so we'll see how that works out.

Friday we went to "preschool" park day - I put preschool in quotes because several of the kids are beyond the preschool stage. We had a great time. The kids played happily (for the most part), though C.J. was quite shy at first... by the end she had warmed up to some of the other kids. Both C.O. and C.J. are able to easily tell male ducks from female ducks now, mainly from their coloring, also male duck tails curl up whereas female duck tails are straight (just so you know). I actually got to chat with a couple of the moms which was kind of nice! The weather was iffy, sprinkling now and then, but we toughed it out, and were glad we did. Some sad news: they're tearing down the absolutely fantastic playground structure in another month, to replace it. Hopefully they'll do at least a halfway decent job. When we got home, C.O. worked on a couple of pages from his phonics book, covering a few frequently used words (to, is, for), and words that rhyme. C.J. spent about 45 minutes on Starfall, playing alphabet games.

Today, I have worked on getting caught up on housework. I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there! I also developed the above-mentioned lesson plan for the next week. The kids have been pretty well-behaved today. They're out playing with neighborhood children right now - yes, I know it's damp, but they have many layers on, and needed some physical activity. I plan to read a couple of library books to them later. I also need to work on my homework, for art history. I had someone ask yesterday how I go to work, college, and do homeschooling, and truthfully, I don't know. I always feel like I am playing catch-up, hence the attempts at actually organizing things. The first thing to suffer is always the housework, which is why I unfortunately spend my weekends cleaning far too often! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to make a lesson plan of sorts for history next year - mostly so I know what books to check out when - and I'm already giving myself a headache! I'm taking it as a bad sign if you fall behind schedule in making your schedule. ;)

    Let us know how yours works!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)