...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, May 21, 2007

5/21... Six years...

Six years ago today, I held my beautiful baby boy for the first time. Six years ago today I became a mom, something that changed my life completely, forever. Six years ago today, at a moment past 4:07 in the morning, I touched my red-faced, bawling, slippery, 8 pound-11 ounce, 20 inch long, miracle, after 42 weeks of miserable morning-sickness hell. I can tell you, in that first instant, the morning sickness, the induced labor, everything painful didn't matter anymore. I held bliss. I held pure joy. And something beyond anything I had known before.

Today, that wrinkled baby boy is a tall, strong, creative, artistic boy. He rides his bike furiously fast and laughs like a maniac. He builds amazing Lego and Tinkertoy creations. He reads, does math, and has his own unique sense of spelling. He is learning his way through the complexities of the world around him. He seems a million light years from the tiny infant, but then, sometimes, late at night, when he's had a bad dream, or just needs the extra attention, he cuddles up close, and is for a fleeting moment, my baby once more.

I'll tell you now - treasure it all. Everything good and even everything not so good, because, damn, it goes by so fast. Before I know it, another year will have passed, and he'll be turning seven. And it just keeps going from there!

3 comments:

  1. <3 <3 <3 (those are hearts in case you couldn't tell)

    Happy Birthday C.O.

    Happy Mother's Day, G. Don't you think Mother's Day should be your oldest's birthday? It is for me.

    BTW, I forgot to give you the cd today. I had it in the diaper bag so I wouldn't forget, lol. I remembered as you were driving away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday C.O.!!!
    Amazing how fast it goes!

    I've been asked many times (by strangers) if it was hard to go from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 when having kids. No matter which number they are thinking of going from I always tell them the same thing- The biggest change you will ever have in your life is your first kid. That is life changing. The rest of the kids are adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!

    Hope it was a deeeelightful one.

    And it *is* going too fast. It makes me so sad that it's whizzing by. I tell that to my parents, and they say, "Uhm, you're telling US that???" LOL

    I guess this is one of the million reasons we homeschool: to savor this time.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)