...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, May 28, 2007

Okay....

I know already that SOTW will work well for us, but doesn't this sound like fun too (though I'd leave out the Bible bits or find a secular version, if one exists)? C.O. has a friend that used this over the last year to study cultures around the world - integrating science, history, geography and language arts - and it just sounds like kids would really enjoy it! Other kid's mom told me they would read stories from the country they were studying, make crafts, study the art and music of that area, cook dishes from the country, study the animals and plants (the science bit)....

Why is it that everytime I feel confident I've made the right decision, something else pops up that sounds great too? I think I am just too indecisive. Bleh.

I remember reading a series of books when I was little, called the
World Children's Series, and enjoying them immensely. I loved being transported to the lives of children in faraway lands, with different customs and histories from my own. I know the books were written back in the 50's, but they still have a lot to share. I think I'll have to check the library for them.

3 comments:

  1. There is always something new that looks good, isn't there? I've heard good things about that program. Every time I am in the homeschool store I fondle it. But we don't *need* (as in really need) it, so I haven't bought it. When I am in there next week, I'll do it again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really indecisive too but I'm trying to get over it LOL

    By the way... You asked me to email you some info but for the life of me I can't find your email. Can you drop me a line at livin_smart@yahoo.com so I can get you the info? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good things about that one too. But why couldn't you use both? SOTW does roughly follow cultures in blocks. You could break up the GTG ones appropriately, I'm sure. In fact, I bet if you ask on the WTM board or SOTW list someone has already done that!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)