...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Continued mental debate...

I think I worry too much about what I plan for us to study. One of the reasons we homeschool is to follow our own path, to blaze our own trail. I feel that, at least for now, while I continue to give my kids a solid foundation in the basics, I need to give them space to follow their own interests, and to explore at their own speed(s). Maybe this is a mistake, maybe it isn't, but I feel the need to give everything some more thought over the summer. I do know, that whatever educational choices we make, I at least have all the curriculum on hand! While I still love the very idea of a classical education, I love other ideas too. So, I will spend my summer looking at the ins and outs of all my (insane) thoughts, watching my children closely to figure out which fork to take in this road.

We've pretty much finished up for the year. C.O. has a few math lessons left that we'll get done over the next several days. We've finished through unit 12 in language arts, which is where I had hoped we'd be at this point. C.O. is finishing dictating and illustrating his version of "The 3 Little Pigs" - his is called "The 3 Little Pigs and the Big Ugly Bear" ("Little dinner, little dinner, let me in!"). C.J. is definately ready for Saxon Math K in the fall, and ready to go further with alphabet/phonics work. I meet with C.O.'s IST next week to turn in a few samples and to discuss next year a little more. Next year the charter school is planning to offer Spanish to K-2 students (as well as the older kids), which I would love for my kids to learn! I'm eager to see what the school's offerings will be for next year.

We went to the beach yesterday for C.O.'s end-of-year celebration with all the kids (and their parents & siblings) from grades K-4. We had so much fun! It was overcast, but not cold. We dug in the sand, played in the waves, had a picnic, chatted with other people, etc. Great way to end the school year!

4 comments:

  1. You're not the only 1 to go through these debates with yourself.

    Brenda Marie
    http://www.livin-smart.net
    http://www.livin-smart.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, are you starting in with that torture that I keep putting myself through?? NOOOO!!! You are the only "classical" homeschooler I know around here! Everyone else seems to be unschooling .. but I guess I don't need to tell you that. K's kids are pretty good advertisements for it thought, aren't they. *sigh*

    I have heard it said that you really can blend the two approaches together quite well. I still would like to get a Classical group together sometime. Maybe I'll put something in the Not-Back-to-School issue of the newsletter.

    OK, what's the point of this comment? Oh yeah... don't ditch me and leave me the only person in the county who is actually "doing school"!! ;)

    Kidding, of course. (In a way.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, G.

    My two cents: I think a classical curriculum can have areas for child-led interests. Classical schooling unnecessarily gets a bad rap due to its inherent structure. However, there are areas in it that do allow for child-led interests. For example, we do a classical curriculum, but the kids get a lot of input on what to study in science and how long to linger on a culture in history. Plus, child-led interests are what happen for absolutely everything else.

    We do schoolwork (seatwork, games, DVDs, etc.) from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Then from 1 p.m. until they go to bed, it's all child-led, know what I mean? Their play, their interests, all that. When we go to the library, they choose books on subjects they like. So, for example, outside of the regular "school", Miguel is learning a lot about animals, especially tigers, just because that's his thing, what he chooses at the library.

    So, my two cents are basically saying that a classical homeschooler is not necessarily oe that does not allow for downtime and for child-driven activities. The main point, I suppose, is that in the classical homeschooling world, the parent holds the reins on the path all the time but allows the child to choose the rest spots and scenic routes. And unschoolers are the ones who allow the children to hold the reins and choose the path. I know I hold the reins, but I'm not barreling down the path at full speed and tearing up the horses and ruining the view. : )

    On a lighter note: The celebration for the end of the year sounds very lovely indeedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My "n" got stuck. The word is "one" not oe. LOL

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)