...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, May 11, 2007

5/7 - 5/11.... sick kiddos again...

We all got this nasty cold this week - it starts in the throat, and slllooooowwwwwlllyyy moves its way into the chest, nose, sinuses... loads of fun. C.O. has been pretty quiet all week, coloring and drawing a lot. C.J. on the other hand is insane when she's sick. She either gets mean and angry with everyone (like when Jenny's Cassia was trying to give her a hug at 4H and C.J. shoved her away saying "eeewww", and then she kept hitting me) or she gets super-cuddly and keeps saying "I looove you, I looooooove you". Thankfully, it seems that the worst of this cold has passed, I hope.

Monday: Did a little bookwork - C.O. did a page of math, and a page of language arts. C.J. colored a picture of Humpty Dumpty. C.O. skipped his morning arts class, as his cold was really bothering him, but he wouldn't miss Aikido, so off we went! I read "3 Billy Goats Gruff" and "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears" to C.J. during the class, while C.O. followed all his sensei's directions very carefully... I wish he listened that well to me sometimes!

Tuesday: 4H election day. My anthro class ran over, so we were even later than usual, which just confirms my decision to take classes later in the day in the fall. Anyhow, C.O. and I had talked a bit about positions in the club, and the responsibility that comes with them, and decided to back out of our candidacy for community service officers. Instead, C.O. ran for sergeant-at-arms and volunteered to help with meeting set-up. I think the other kid running for the community service officer position will do a great job! We just have a lot going on anyway. C.O. had to go up in front of everyone and explain why he'd be good for the sergeant-at-arms, and though we had just talked about what he would say, I know my poor little guy drew a complete blank standing up there. He got a few words out though, and I'm sure he'll do better next time. When we got home, we ended our day coloring and labeling sea animal/creature pictures, plus he finished off a printout on safari animals, and a page of math, all before going outside to ride his bike like a maniac.

Wednesday: C.O. was feeling worse again, so he stayed home from his enrichment class. I met with his IST, by myself, which was kind of nice because we got to talk about the rest of this year, and next year, without interrruption. After I got home, we went to the library to pick up the million books on hold, almost all about dinosaurs. C.J. just would not be quiet - there were people all over the library shushing her, and she just didn't get it, so we grabbed the books and headed home. C.O. read 2 Bob books aloud, and we called that homeschooling for the day.

Thursday: I felt worse while the kids felt better, so honestly, we got nothing accomplished. Ooops. I had a stressful day at work, which didn't help... turns out that I will have worked my 180 days at the end of this month, not next month, so I am semi-scrambling for summer employment. I won't need to work the entire summer, I think, but at least part of it. I even applied to my old nemesis (Safeway) because they pay quite well for checkers. Since I took a buyout from them though, it doesn't seem too likely they'll hire me back, even for a single season. I also sent out an email a few days ago, giving more details about the art classes, and informing people that I will be the one teaching it, and guess what? Not a single response.

Today: We'll see how everyone feels when I get home from work. C.J. has ballet this afternoon if she's up to it. I'm sure she will be though - she absolutely adores that class. I hope to read at least one or two books on dinosaurs, and start our graph (we're graphing the types of dinosaurs we study), maybe some math and some reading... I'll save starting a new spelling list for next week. I have a graphic art project I need to complete, as I will be paid for that. It's just designing a little logo-thingy, so it shouldn't be too hard. I also need to study for finals which are in TWO weeks. C.O. loves it when we "homeschool" together!

3 comments:

  1. Yep, that's exactly what we've had. Sore throat, then fine, then the congestion and fever, now he seems fine again, but I'm getting the sore throat. At least you guys didn't get hives too, lol.

    About the art classes, I think your email sounded a bit like, "here's what I'm thinking but I haven't decided yet and just wanted to keep you informed." I think if you specifically said, "I'm offering a drawing clinic for 5 - 10 yr olds Wednesday at 2pm. Additional classes can be arranged at other times if there is enough interest" you would get more responses. Phrases like "if there is enough interest" will get people hopping. Some people have a huge fear of missing out on something, lol. You might also consider offering one-on-one art tutoring (is it called tutoring for art?) or something like that. Just some suggestions. I can't imagine having to go back to retail work. *shudder* Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I know that you work? I'm not sure that I knew this ... Whatcha do?

    And sorry that Jenny's rugrats infected your kids. LOL (Teasing, Jenny! Sorta. LOL)

    I'm not sure if this is possible up in your neck of the woods, but we've some teacher supplies stores and a homeschooling one here, so if you have some up there, you might consider posting a flyer up there, too. You know, more folks = more money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maria, I think her rugrats were sick first! Not that I'm pointing fingers or anything...

    But good idea! Whole Foods will let you put up fliers, so will KidSpot, I think.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)