...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Blogging along...

Just a general, rambling update!

Elf's 9th birthday went well. He loved his gifts, especially all the new art supplies. He got his ears pierced (yes, both ears), and I'll have to post a picture of that. The weather cooperated long enough to head out to the park to share the cake in the picture below with friends. Within twenty minutes of this picture being taken, that cake was demolished!


We finished his special day with a trip to the movie theater to see the new Shrek movie in 3D, which was very exciting for everyone, and then we went out to dinner. All in all, Elf said it was the best birthday he's had yet!

We got this the next day....


and promptly dived into reading. These are hilarious! And very informative at the same time. We read quite a bit from Savage Stone Age, but today we are going to read from Rotten Romans. We are on our last couple of weeks of homeschooling before summer break - next week we have our last meeting with our IST, and a beach celebration with families from the charter school (IF the weather cooperates). Then we're on light schooling until early/mid August. Light schooling here equals lots of reading time for Elf (he's planning to read his way through the Ralph S. Mouse books in addition to other varied things), reading instruction for Fairy, and these little math books for both. With only 4 problems a day, all review, the math should be easy! Then in August, we'll start back up "fulltime" with Oak Meadow.

I have officially finished my class for the semester. I am looking at taking an online class over the summer, maybe in Comparative Mythology OR Chicano/Latino Humanities (which would satisfy the Ethnic Studies requirement), as I need a few more units. Then I'm back to fulltime college student in the fall. I did get some good news yesterday - because I took a few early childhood education classes at our local community/junior college, I can waive a pre-requisite class at the university! Which means I can finish off math sooner and get it out of the way, which in turn means I may make my goal of graduating for my next birthday (in December). PHEW! It is getting to the point that I am tired of school (for myself) and ready to move on. Of course, with credentialing and all, I still have a bit ahead of me, but now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I am also thinking of taking a few workshops in Waldorf teaching.

So, today's plans involve history, maybe some math, definately some reading, and I get to help set up for a Homeschool Information Night put on by our local homeschooling organization! Thankfully my boss gave me the day off.

2 comments:

  1. Great pirate ship! I did a similar one for oldest a few years back. I like the idea of putting it atop a sea of cake, too. Sounds like a fun birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cake. Did you make it? Horrible Histories looks very interesting, may need to try those out.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)