...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Pulling rank...

Well, after much thought, and many discussions, I am pulling rank as the director of our homeschool. I have chosen the path we will take next year! I am going with Plan A, now re-dubbed The Plan. Why not Oak Meadow? Because, simply put, the cost of the syllabuses puts it just out of reach, or if not entirely out of reach, it would devour much of my homeschool budget. That's one reason. Another is that I like our travels through history, and a Charlotte Mason approach. And finally, because I enjoy choosing books for the children to choose from, and I can come up with creative projects on my own. However, I also realized (yet another duh moment) that I can blend in the more Waldorf-like elements of Oak Meadow right into my own plans. I can have my children make Main Lesson Books, which will in turn make great memoirs down the road.

Anyhow, it feels lovely to be settled. To know that I can free myself from scouring second-hand curricula boards for a good deal. And, with the money I am saving not buying OM, I can buy better art supplies. I have already purchased, mostly second-hand, much of what we will need next year.

This weekend, while I don't have work per se, is going to be a busy one! We have Foam Weaponry and a mock battle this afternoon. I have baked a cake already that needs to be assembled and frosted for the 4H fundraiser tomorrow. I have a 4H scarf to sew for my Fairy. Tomorrow we have the 4H fundraising event, which is a giant, open-to-the-public BBQ. The kids are in the parade, and on trash duty. M is taking a shift grilling. I have the kids to supervise, the cake to deliver to the cake booth, etc. And then there are the everyday, mundane tasks of laundry, housework, etc.

Hoe you all have a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:00 PM

    Hooray for being settled for the upcoming year. It does feel so good to have a plan and direction for the new school year, so you can prepare now, rather than you pulling your hair out later. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on "The Plan", and have a wonderfully busy weekend (sounds like you may need to rest up on Monday!)

    MIchelle

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)