...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Musings... What Do You Think?

Just looking for feedback on my current plans for upcoming history and science. I still need to nail down a few details, but I think this will allow for a good mix of books, hands-on, and freedom to explore interests.

My plan at the moment for science and history is as follows - I will be requiring them to do A-D each week in each category:

History (still torn on the "spine", down to four choices - Core Knowledge books OR the Rainbow Book of American History OR Builders of the Old World OR K12's Human Odyssey Volume 1). [Note: We'll be watching CNN Student News most days, and reading various "picture" books related to important dates/famous people/events/etc., as well.]

A: A reading (selected by me) to expose them to history topics.

B: A documentary or movie of choice

C: A project of choice. I have this handy-dandy book to help with that., OR they can draw a picture and write something, which I may require anyhow. If it is a simple project, we couold get it done in a day. If not, they can spread it out over a couple of weeks or so.

D: A story to go with history they are interested in. Could be historical fiction, or a vintage book. Just a chapter or two each week.

Science (BFSU, OR Real Science 4 Kids, OR Elemental Science's Biology for Logic Stage)

A: A reading (selected by me) to expose them to science topics. If we go with BFSU, I'll read a library book aloud to both, and then ds11 will read through a corresponding entry in the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia.

B: A documentary of choice

C: An experiment of choice. I have lots of experiment books on hand. dd9 will have to draw/label a picture of experiments, and ds11 will be keeping a lab book.

D: Nature walk and journaling. Plus regular reading from living nature books.


**What I am visualizing is something like this...**

Day 1: 20 minutes approx. EACH reading from history and science

Day 2: A science project to be done. A history documentary during lunch, or an evening movie.

Day 3: Start work on a history project, or timeline work, or drawing. A science documentary during lunch.

Day 4: A few chapters from a book of their choice for history, and a nature walk with journaling. 

EDITED TO ADD: I love, love, love the look of This Week in History! Thank you Eddie (over at The Usual Mayhem)! I am thinking that it would dovetail very nicely with book suggestions from A Picture Perfect Childhood.

2 comments:

  1. I like your ideas for both......

    I would suggest taking a look at www.tjed.org's "This Week in History" membership. It sounds very similar to what you have in mind but with a lot less legwork for you. M (same age as Cyrus, roughly) is loving it.

    For science, have you looked at Elemental Science? I've been looking at Real Science 4 Kids and Elemental Science and I still can't make up my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:18 AM

    You are so organized and I've got... nothing. Well, yet. ;)

    I do want to get my son into more documentaries. The trick, I think, is finding ones that will keep his attention. Nothing too dry, you know?

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)