...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Approaching science in 2010-2011...

While we plan to study nature, I'd like to have some specific focus in mind, whether it is specific topics, or an approach by habitat type. So I asked the kids what they would like to learn about, and here is a list we compiled of several topics, in no particular order:

Birds
Geology
Astronomy
Insects
Weather
Wildflowers
Trees
Reptiles and Amphibians

We may approach this either as unit studies, or by exploring different habitats (ponds/wetlands, woodlands, etc.), armed with field guides, magnifying glasses, and binoculars. Oh, and spiralbound notebooks for sketching and note-taking. Probably the latter approach, since I hate to prepare a unit study only to have it derailed on some fascinating tangent! I also like the idea of integrating as much as possible - learning about the birds, the mammals, the plants and the amphibians of a wetlands, for example, versus learning about just birds, or just rocks. So maybe just an exploration of the habitats around us will work?

Maybe something along these lines, combing units and habitats...
geology & backyard creatures (late summer/early fall)
astronomy (mid/late fall)
woodlands (early/mid winter)
seashore (late winter/mid spring)
wetlands (late spring/early summer)

I also came up with my "school" calendar, with about 7 weeks off in the summer, then 7 weeks on, followed by a week off (most of the time). A week off at Thanksgiving,a mini two week "in school" session, and a 3 week Christmas/winter break, and 2 weeks at Easter, giving us a total of 37 weeks of school time, definately above the state requirements. I like this plan because it gives us a semi-long summer, and lots of little breaks as well.

2 comments:

  1. I have some great books about science and nature journaling...I'd love to loan them to you so you can tell me what you think of them. I wish I could get my elves out into the woods...woe is me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that would be great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)