...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sunny mornings...

I am not a morning person. Actually, by nature I am, by current profession, not so much, since I generally work the late shift, at my own request, so I can be at home during the day to theoretically educate my kids. But, the last couple of weeks, I have had to get up in the earlier morning, whether or not I want to, as we are "babysitting" a dog that needs to go out every morning. He is a big, solid guy, whose owners lost their house and now live in an apartment unsuitable for a Bull Mastiff. Thankfully, unlike our rat terrier-chihuahua mix, he is calm. She's a wiry ball of endless energy who freaks out at the slightest disturbance (our neighbors refer to her as la diabla when she goes on one of her all too common barking and freaking out frenzies). He's more apt to be laying somewhere comfortable, content for the main part to watch the world go by, although he does love it when Fairy throws the now-deflated football for him to chase and chew. He's also pretty well trained - he knows his leash, he'll wait at the door to go out... I have found myself liking him a lot more than I assumed I would, since I am much more a cat person than a dog person.

And as for the "babysitting", I have a feeling it is not as temporary as all that. So I guess we are now a two dog household. And M is going to build him a doghouse this weekend, so he can sleep outside with la diabla. I think I might keep my early mornings though....

So I am writing a book. A children's book, about a willow tree, and all that happens in and around it. I don't intend on trying to have it published - it is my senior project in college. Which brings me to another rambling. With the number of teachers being laid off, etc., is my college education worthwhile? To me it is, maybe not so much as a career move though. So before I actually enter the pre-credentialing program this fall, I'm taking a step back to reflect and ponder. Where do I want to go, and what do I want to do? We read a little book called A Question of Happiness (highly enjoyable, by the way) for my class, in which the author says to follow our passions. My professor, who has traveled parts of the world, been nominated for several honors, taught great classes, built himself a straw bale home, and in general is a happy man, says that this is what he has done in life - he has followed his interests and passions. He tells me I need to trust that following my passions will lead me to where I should be. A lot of food for thought, because honestly, if I take the time to visualize myself teaching, it isn't in an elementary school, at least not with the way things are going in our schools!

Anyhow, back to the book. I have the story mostly done, and mostly in my head. I plan to spend the next couple of weeks working on the layout, and then I can begin to work on the illustrations. I am trying to decide what approach I want to use with those - watercolor? Pen and ink? Both? Neither? It is a trying process. And I thought the docent training I am doing, for a local wetlands foundation, might help the story, but so far it is just leading my mind off on different tangents, although I am enjoying them (the tangents)! I can actually identify a few more birds now, several just by song. And I can identify more trees and bushes.

Finally, in regards to homeschooling, I would like to recommend this article for your reading pleasure, and I can tell you it has left me more up in the air about math than ever!

ETA: One of the things I am considering is a Master's Degree versus a teaching credential. I could finish in about the same time, and work at a (community) college level (or teach in high school), which frees me up for a few more options... and part-time work instead of the essentially fulltime position of elementary school. We'll see! My husband says to go with my instincts, and, what would I tell the children about following their dreams? I'd say go for it! So, why do I have such a hard time saying go for it to myself?

4 comments:

  1. All excellent questions and things to ponder. It is questionable how useful a credential will be if you don't envision yourself in a classroom...but then, maybe you can carve a whole new path and that credential will be something useful and helpful in getting it off the ground. Or attracting interested participants. Or getting financial support. Who knows? My hats off to you, though, for doing so many things at once.

    Oh, and about the dog! Sounds like Henry and Mudge time. And for so many reasons I hope you're reading www.blueyonderranch.com because you have so many interests in common!

    Love the new blog look, too. How did you do this one?
    ~S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking abut a master's degree versus credentialing...

    The background is courtesy of Simply Blog It, which has all the instructions, etc. in the sidebar. Finally found one that I feel FITS my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:03 PM

    Wow! You have so much going on, and so many questions... It sounds like deep thoughts and changes are afoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 1996 I earned my B.H. and my Secondary English teaching certificate. But, I needed to pay the bills, so I got a full-time job at a large bank. I worked my way up in Corporate America and while there, earned my M.Ed. in Teaching & Curriculum.

    I've never taught in a public school. I couldn't substitute b/c my full-time job paid too well to quit it & hope someone called in sick at the local public school. :)

    Now...my husband, he earned his BFA in Painting and his MFA (also, in Painting). His story is a good one...he held three adjunct professions at one time (when the economy was better) & made A LOT of money. Now, he teaches at one college...but, it's still great money.

    I vote for the Master's. If I wanted to I could probably find an adjunct position, too...so if you're able to do it...get the Master's!! :)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)