...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, September 7, 2006

First, let me reassure you...

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment... I don't really think I am a terrible homeschooling mom.
 
Yesterday proved I am not. We had our first meeting with our assistant/teacher, and it went really well. We discussed what we want to accomplish with homeschooling, filled out a few (semi-silly) forms, discussed the enrichment classes, and then began going through the curriculum materials they have available. I said "no" to a few things, but did come home with an entire armload of books and supplies! C.O. is in first grade math, which I admit I am proud of! I added our supplies/resources to my sidebar. Yes, after looking through the books, we did decide to go with Saxon Math, but only the workbooks and manipulatives, not the Meeting Book and all that. I do have the Teacher's Guide, but I doubt I'll be using it too much. We're supplementing with Family Math. I thumbed through it last night, and it looks like it has a lot of great games!  We meet again on the 20th, and in the meantime, I am coming up with a unit study (mostly for history/social studies/science learning) to start with that I can email to her. We're thinking of doing a fairly short one on "Our Community" - we could make a map or collage (or combination of the two) of our area, visit the fire station, library and post office, etc. Then, maybe move into a unit on Farms, just in time for Halloween preparation!
 
C.O. did his first sit-down lesson in phonics/writing during my lunch break today, and he seemed to really enjoy it! We also worked on letter sounds in the car. C.J. drew a picture during the sit-down time, which she says is a mountain coming up out of the ocean. We really need more crayons! After soccer practice tonight, we hope to sit down to do a page or so of math. I can't wait until things are a little less hectic, and I get more time at home to actually enjoy the homeschooling process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)