...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Fine, I am addicted to blogging...

Why do I say that? Because here I am, typing out my ramblings, when I could be doing algebra, or writing an essay on Rachel Carson's Silent Spring. Or I could be doing dishes, mopping the kitchen floor, folding laundry... my list of ever-exciting things to do!

Anyhow, Jenny, here is my recipe for granola. It's what I've come up with after mingling several recipes... enjoy!

Yesterday we got a lot accomplished. Elf has Spanish and then music, while I was in algebra. I picked him up, and decided to check out the charter school's library - wish I had done this before! We found a bunch of neat books on Egypt, and the kids each picked up 2 storybooks as well. Then we came home, had lunch, and the kids played a bit outside while I cleaned up the kitchen. Finally, we sat down for lessons, or at least Elf and I did - Fairy was busy with baby dolls and her tea set. We did our calendar work and checked the temperature, then did two pages of math which involved time, word problems, money, measuring, addition and subtraction (things like "Find the answer. Look for 10's: 6 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 5 ="). Elf surprised me by reading the words "dimes" and "pennies" on his own. He also did a few pages in his handwriting book, a couple of pages in ETC, and then he sat down to check out the Egyptian stencils we had brought home. I had to leave for biology at this point.

When I got back, we had family movie night and watched Kirikou & the Sorceress. Elf pointed out that the old wise man in the mountain wore a crown and beard like the Egyptians, and then madly flipped through our library books until he found an example to show everyone, which also involved him reading titles out loud, like "Digging Into the Past" - his reading skills are really taking off lately. At bedtime, we read the first couple of chapters of Cat Mummies, and then I started reading The Boxcar Children to them.

So, I count it as a very good homeschooling day! Definately busy, but good.

1 comment:

  1. i loved the boxcar children. totally loved those books.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)