...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, January 28, 2008

Off to a good start....

School-wise that is. Today Elf did math (word problems, money, measuring, temperature, and "playing teacher", where he had to correct "mistakes"), then he did 4 pages of phonics/spelling - three from ETC and one from HM Spelling & Vocabulary. We are in the second workbook of Saxon Math now, and the second to last lesson in ETC 2, after which we're jumping to 3, since 2 1/2 is review. We finished off with Elf reading another Level 1 reader to me, and he did it pretty well. He also picked up a Bob book, and was surprised at how simple it seems now!

Fairy decided not to do school today, which was fine because her Uncle E read her Amelia Bedelia stories while I worked one-on-one with Elf, a nice change from trying to balance two kids needing help right now (M loves reading to her, but he's busy building a secondary loft in our garage for storage).

Both kids are slooooowwwwwlyyyy getting past their colds, especially Fairy, who still sounds like a barking seal when she coughs. I hate relying on medicine, but I don't think she'd get much sleep at night without it. She's always been a tosser-turner-kicker-Mommy's-head-hugger at night anyhow, and when she's sick, it's even more so (so guess who else isn't getting much sleep?). She also gets oddly affectionate when sick, and will spend hours draped over the closest person, saying "I loooove you, I loooooove you". Strange child, very, very strange.

And in my education news, I got to draw a rotifer in my biology lab tonight. Pretty cool stuff!

1 comment:

  1. i get very needy and affectionate when i have a migraine. i want a lap for my head and someone nice to pet it. preferably for about 4 hours without complaining or wiggling. i sympathize with your strange fairy child.

    l

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)