...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, January 4, 2007

If I could buy anything for my homeschool...

It would be about 100 different titles from the DK Eyewitness series. I wish I could afford to have a whole library of these books! We do have a few, but there are so many to choose from! I would also love to have loads of Dover coloring books. Oh well, maybe someday (probably when the kids are all grown up)!

Yesterday, in between running errands and tons of LEGO play, C.O. managed a lesson and a half in math, about 8 pages in HWOT, and a few pages from HM Phonics, finishing up the early unit on letter sounds. Now we'll move on to some basic spelling concepts. His math abilities are growing by leaps and bounds! I am always amazed at how quickly he grasps new concepts. C.J. didn't feel like doing much in the way of bookwork, so I settled her down with a coloring book. Then, they both watched about an hour of a dvd called "I Love Toy Trains". If you've never seen it, this is a great series of dvds, narrated by a child, and really well put together, plus they're essentially homemade.

Today, I hope to get C.O., through the rest of the math lesson. It's going more slowly than it did at first because the concepts being introduced are a little more complex, and I want to make sure he really understands before moving on. We'll work on some reading too. I think my mom has a copy of "Hop on Pop" (Dr. Suess), so I think we'll take a break from the readers and try that. I also want to work with C.J. on expanding her version of the alphabet song... right now it goes "A B C D F I G W X Y & Z... now I know my ABC's, next time won't you sing with me?". At least she tries, and she has the tune down! Singing is one of her favorite activities - she sings some actual songs, like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, and I'm a Little Teapot, but then (especially in the car) she'll make up songs as she goes. It's pretty cute!

On a final note, I found (online naturally) an $8 copy of Story of the World, Vol 1, revised edition, so I went ahead and bought it. I figure this way I have plenty of time to look through it and decide if it's as good as some of the reviews at amazon.com, or as poorly written as a few of the reviews claim it is.

1 comment:

  1. OK, now why don't I do that (find cheap used books online)? Why do I think that I have to buy it new, from the publisher, with all the bells and whistles???

    Darn, I was going to say something else and now I've forgotten... oh yes, we love I Love Toy Trains too! It's amazing how captivating that series is.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)